TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Loan Forgiveness Legislation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loan Forgiveness Legislation Login/Join 
posted
There is legislation in the U.S Congress that would provide for forgiveness of designated government loans for prosecutors and public defenders. If passed, and actually funded, the bills would pay $10,000 per year and up to a total of $60,000. You must commit to 3 years employment and can extend it thereafter. The U.S.Senate Committee on the Judiciary passed S.B.442 out of committee and it is back on the floor waiting for a full vote. The U.S. House of Representatives has referred an identical bill, H.B.916, to the Committee on the Judiciary. It is probably going to be scheduled for a hearing in the coming weeks.

I urge you all to read either bill and then call, write or email our Senators and your Representative. I know that Senator Dick Durbin (IL-Dem), bill sponsor, would love to have our Senators on board as co-sponsors. On the House side, there are presently NO Texas Representatives on the list of 44 co-sponsors. That is embarassing when the great state of Texas has a total of 32 Represenatives!

I understand that there may be an issue as to actually finding the money to appropriate the bill. I think it is more important to get the bill passed and then work on the funding. You may not be aware but U.S Attorneys have a loan forgiveness program in place. Why not us?

You can read S.B442 at the following site: Library of Congress. It also provides the link to H.B.916. Again, call, write or email our Senators and your Represenatives urging their support of these bills.

JAMIE

Posts: 19 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So can US Attorneys really commit to 3 years of service in view of recent firings...

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that this type of legislation would promote a larger pool of applicants for prosecution/public defenders. I wrote my senator an email to that effect (the Senator will remain nameless), and asked that person to support the proposed legislation (this was some months ago when I learned of it). The Senator was nice enough to reply by letter thanking me for my concern about TEACHERS LOAN FORGIVENESS. I don't know that our Senators are listening.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to sound callus but that is their problem. My focus is on my fellow state prosecutors and myself, of course.

Posts: 19 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rebecca:

Glad to know our Senators are paying attention! I hope it was not our Senator that happens to be a member of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary!

posted Hide Post
I'll never tell, just LOL

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The companion bill to S.B. 442, H.R. 916, is set to be argued on the floor of the House tomorrow. I urge everybody to take 5 minutes today and call or email your respective Representative to support this bill. As of today, there are only 2 out of 32 Representatives signed on as cosponsors!

posted Hide Post
I know it's not much, coming from a simple you-know-what player, but:

I forgive you.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgive you too, AP.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fear not, A.P.! To err is human; to forgive, divine. But to play banjo and bass, both quite well, makes you cool, no matter what the cosmopolitan set may say. And I say let's roll drummers, guitar players, keyboardists and singers into the mix.

Signed,
Your Friend who Unflinchingly Admires your Steadfast Adherence to Entrance and Exit Protocols

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright girls, you're getting a little slobbery. I'm gettin' all choked up. Tell you what, let's meet at the practice labs on Oltorff and forgive each other with some Mustang Sally. I wonder if we'll forive the other Scott, the loud and raucous one.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I even forgive Scotty D. For what, I do not know. But all is forgiven.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post