TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    search of cell phone incident to arrest
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

search of cell phone incident to arrest Login/Join 
posted
In a murder case, police seize a cell phone incident to arrest of the defendant. the phone was on the nightstand next to defendant's bed. police think evidence related to murder is on cell phone. they look and find text messages and phone calls between parties to the murder and a video of the defendant firing the murder weapon.

per U.S. v. Finley 477 f.3d 250, a search of cell phone text messages incident to arrest is permissible, but that is a drug case.

anyone had this issue with a crime a violence or know of any texas cases on point?

Posts: 52 | Location: meridian, texas | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Rolater and John Stride know this issue VERY well.

P.S.--I tried to e-mail you something on this, but I don't know if you got it.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 09-29-09 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Troy, sent you a brief written by one of Stride's able people. It may help.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've received the brief. thank you. would someone let clay abbot know that i took his advice and made a pest of myself on the forum?

Posts: 52 | Location: meridian, texas | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would y'all mind sending me a copy or link to that brief?

Posts: 5 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: October 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A copy is on its way.

Catherine Luft

Posts: 5 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we also get a copy of that brief?

Posts: 17 | Location: Rio Grande City, TX, U.S. | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the brief too.

ralpert@tarrantcounty.com

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to receive a copy of the brief also.

dlewis@lakewoodco.org

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not post the brief for downloading by anyone?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like copy of brief, too. Also need info on how to prove up text messages received from out of state phone company. In response to search warrant, phone company e-mailed text messages and subscriber info to my investigator's (affiant) computer.Predicate questions to admissibility? Objections likely to encounter? Thanks to anyone with guidance.

Posts: 1 | Location: Daingerfield, TX USA | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you please send me the brief too.Have a similar case with gang members/ drug dealer's phones.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please send me a copy of the brief too

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you should put the brief on eBay and sell it to the highest bidder.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sent copies out to those who requested them. Rebecca, yours was returned. Another email address? Oe, I need your email address.
I hope the brief helps.

catherine.luft@dentoncounty.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I have a copy, too? e.hernandez@wallercotx.com

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me say, me too please!

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I get a copy of that also? Rebecca_Gibson@co.midland.tx.us

Thanks!

Posts: 8 | Location: Midland, TX, USA | Registered: August 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you send me one too please...ramirrod(NO SPAM)@co.fort-bend.tx.us

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too, please?

jwestbrook(NOSPAM)@navarrocounty.org

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post