TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Loophole in Enhancements....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loophole in Enhancements.... Login/Join 
posted
I know everyone already knows about the loophold, but I was wondering if there has been any push in the legislature to close it.

I'm referring to the situation where someone has one SJ trip and one TDC trip and we have a SJ case that we can't enhance. In this situation they are being rewarded for being bad enough to get a TDC trip rather than a second SJ trip...

Anyway, I've wondered about this for a while and just wanted to check in...

Posts: 61 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thread: "Fix the SJF punishment scheme"

Bottom line: it is an intentional attempt by our Legislature to save money, so all attempts to change it have been denied, rebuffed, buried, flushed, and/or defeated.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon, I have had the same frustrations with the SJF enhancements. We ALWAYS attempt to enhance where possible and the convoluted SJF enhancement section makes it difficult. And the inability to use a SJF to enhance under "b, c, and d" of 12.42 is irksome as well. Be nice if we could at least enhance under those sections with TWO documented prior SJF convictions.

Posts: 14 | Location: Coldspring, San Jacinto County, Texas, USA | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Chair of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee and the Chair of House Corrections Committee, meanwhile, recently passed legislation reducing the period of time for supervision of third degree felony drug and property probationers. They also continue to complain in the media that too many probationers are being revoked and sent to prison for "technical" violations rather than for commission of new crimes. Finally, they continue to oppose the construction of new prisons.

So, you also might want to think about where you are going to find in the leadership the support for an expansion of the enhancement law.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously nobody wants enhancements. So it isn't going to be done.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, Hoover, if you don't want those enhancements, then maybe you'll be glad to take on a bunch of recently paroled dopers and thieves in your neighborhood, wherever that is. Sounds like Berkley or Newark to me.

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post