TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The not-so-happy hooker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The not-so-happy hooker Login/Join 
posted
An interesting case has arisen here in the Yellow City. A prostitute, who knows she has AIDS, is continuing to be active in her "profession," despite attempts by the health department to convince her to curtail her work schedule. In response, the department contacted the City Attorney, who filed a communicable disease commitment proceeding against her in district court. With that background in mind, we turn to the question the media is asking us:

What, if any, offense (other than prostitution itself) occurs if a prostitute, knowing she has AIDS, continues to engage in prostitution?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On top of whatever else it might be, this looks like a violation of Health & Safety Code 81.083 [Application of Control Measures to Individual], which, according to H & S 81.087 is a Class B misdemeanor.

The criminal prosecutors out there might give you other options from the Penal Code that might work, but us civil folks look in these 'other books' first for this off-beat stuff.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall reading about a similar case where the charge was attempted murder and or agg. assault. I do not recall the final result.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Air Force indicted and convicted on a charge of Aggravated Assault for an individual who was HIV positive. Had been warned not to engage in unprotected sexual conduct and did anyway. The case was tried at Lackland AFB in San Antonio around 1998-2000 timeframe.

I know the rules are different for Courts Martial, but it is at least secondary authority.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to indict her for aggravated assault/SBI or Deadly Weapon. The mental state is recklessness. The SBI is the disease if she actually infects someone. The deadly weapon is the HIV virus.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just discussed this very topic in our office yesterday. Look at Najera v. State 955 sw2d 698 which is also cited in Adame v. State 69 sw3d 381

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post