TDCAA Community
Confrontation (Crawford) hearing in assault family violence case

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/7151022971

October 21, 2008, 16:09
Tracy Hale
Confrontation (Crawford) hearing in assault family violence case
I have an assault BI FV case in which the victim says in her statement "I don't want to press charges, he's told me if I do he will make me disappear. And he knows people who can do it." If we can't find her, we are wanting to have a hearing arguing that the defendant gave up his right to confront her when he threatened her against pressing charges/testifying. Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
October 21, 2008, 17:19
Mark Edwards
Forfeiture by Wrongdoing. There is a thread on this site about it.
October 21, 2008, 20:57
R_Smith
What proof do you have that the guy threatened her, other than the victim's own self-serving statement?
October 22, 2008, 05:57
JB
Would it help if we found her dead body?
October 22, 2008, 07:38
kpm
In a forft. hearing hearsay is admissible--so whoever she said that statement to can testify to it; also the standard is much lower... not beyond a reasonable doubt.
October 22, 2008, 07:41
John Greenwood
I agree with Mark, forfeiture by wrong doing, but I would consider upping the ante and charge witness tampering and/or retaliation.
October 28, 2008, 05:54
MDK
I guess some people don't understand that jurors assess the credibility of the witnesses and decide whether there is enough proof.

I am often amused by people who think that everything today is videotaped, or, if not, it can't be proven.

While I am grateful for Big Brother watching, I am not about to install video equipent in my home so that, when confronted by a burglar, I can "prove" that the POS in the chair across from me in court is the guy who ran out of my house.