TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Confrontation (Crawford) hearing in assault family violence case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confrontation (Crawford) hearing in assault family violence case Login/Join 
posted
I have an assault BI FV case in which the victim says in her statement "I don't want to press charges, he's told me if I do he will make me disappear. And he knows people who can do it." If we can't find her, we are wanting to have a hearing arguing that the defendant gave up his right to confront her when he threatened her against pressing charges/testifying. Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Location: Kaufman, Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forfeiture by Wrongdoing. There is a thread on this site about it.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What proof do you have that the guy threatened her, other than the victim's own self-serving statement?

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it help if we found her dead body?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a forft. hearing hearsay is admissible--so whoever she said that statement to can testify to it; also the standard is much lower... not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Posts: 61 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark, forfeiture by wrong doing, but I would consider upping the ante and charge witness tampering and/or retaliation.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess some people don't understand that jurors assess the credibility of the witnesses and decide whether there is enough proof.

I am often amused by people who think that everything today is videotaped, or, if not, it can't be proven.

While I am grateful for Big Brother watching, I am not about to install video equipent in my home so that, when confronted by a burglar, I can "prove" that the POS in the chair across from me in court is the guy who ran out of my house.

Posts: 48 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post