TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    restricting prosecutors' contact with pro se defemdants (HB 1178; 454 (Ellis) D Houston
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

restricting prosecutors' contact with pro se defemdants (HB 1178; 454 (Ellis) D Houston Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shannon, and that's why I gave you my reply. If some out of control judges are intentionally violating the law, then that should be addressed. If they are making some mistakes, educate them.
Personally, I have never heard of Judges forcing criminal defendants in this manner, and from your response it seems that either you have not or that you are not at liberty to discuss it. Maybe the advocates to whom you refer in your post will tell everyone who is doing it and how they are doing it. Without a strong showing of a problem that cannot be addressed within our current system, it seems unwarranted to intentionally create additional delays and costs to the criminal justice system.

[This message was edited by Mark Pratt on 02-26-07 at .]

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that the indigent defense people were here examining our set up for taking pro se pleas. They watched the whole process from start to finish, both in and out of jail. THeir determination was that, even though there has not been an increase in court appointed attorneys, we are doing everything correctly. It was my understanding that they are in the process of putting every county through that drill.

If, in fact, they are going to audit, for lack of a better term, the proceedure each county uses for indigent defense and unrepresented pleas, and if, in fact, that process is not completed at this time - - - isn't this legislation a little premature? If some counties are engaging in the conduct suspected, let the audits take place, and see if correction can be levied there. The current technique looks sort of like doing surgery with a hatchet....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post