TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Cybercrime Unit Funding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cybercrime Unit Funding Login/Join 
posted
Our office has recently gotten into computer/digital forensics. The ability to get this information so fast has been a boon to our office. The problem is funding the program. The software licensure renewals and storage to be specific. In my reading of Art. 42.12 under Sec. 11. Basic Conditions of Community Supervision, number 19 states Reimburse a law enforcement agency for the analysis, storage, or disposal of raw materials, controlled substances, chemical precursors, drug paraphernalia, or other materials seized in connection with the offense.

This sounds to me like we should be able to assess a fee for the analysis and storage of materials seized in connection with the offense, in this case digital evidence. Much like DPS sends a request for restitution with their lab reports for drugs and toxicology.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 2 | Location: Cass County | Registered: April 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea, but I don't think you get there....Article 42A.301(18) relates to the disposal of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Although you get points for creative thinking, in my experience our lawmakers frown on expansion of court costs without express and clear approval.....just my 2 cents....

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post