TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Court of Inquiry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court of Inquiry Login/Join 
posted
Let's send good thoughts and prayers towards Shane Phelps and Bill Turner and their office. It sounds like Buck Files and Judge Kent are getting to the heart of the matters that led to the convening of a court of inquiry in Brazos Co.

Here's the story from today

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/070606/local_20060706002.php

I don't personally know Shane or Bill but have mutual friends with both of them, have seen both of them lecture at cle over the years and I do what they do for a living. This could very easily be you or I at the heart of this matter.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To all members of the DA's office ---- Hang in there.

Do your job and hold your head high.

I could really use stronger language to describe the situation in Brazos Co. but I will refrain out of consideration for the other members of this great association.

Posts: 24 | Location: Odessa, Texas | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the test: tell a friend the story about this Judge in Brazos County and see if you can get through the story without them asking "Are you serious? You have got to be making this up?"

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, your test worked for Kathy, Fred. That's basically what she said.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with you both. You have helped me a number of times over the years and you really don't deserve this nightmare.Why don't we seek to sanction writ writers and others who slander us? As an elected do you just have to sit quietly and take it? It hurts to have your hard earned reputation questioned!!Hang in there!!!

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for your wonderful and kind words of support. We have survived and hope we get a breather before the next volley. I am proud to be part of a profession that places such a high priority on mutual support and camaraderie. I am grateful to you all.

P.S. If anyone else ever finds him or herself in such a situation, or knows of someone else who needs the kind of help I needed, you need to give Lindsey Roberts' wife, Christie Williams, a call. She did an amazing job defending me.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Shane and Bill. Ya'll are two of our professions finest and it saddens me to see ya'll put through this type of ordeal. Perhaps this public outing of these Political games will allow folks in the Brazos Valley to see these villains for what they really are.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The proceeding supposedly started with "a sworn affidavit stating the substantial facts establishing probable cause that a specific offense has been committed against the laws of this state" and ended with a finding that there was "no credible evidence" to charge Shane Phelps with any criminal violation.

Except as a vehicle for abuse, I have to wonder why there is ever any need for a court of inquiry. Apparently the only result of the hearing would be the issuance of a warrant for someone's arrest as if a complaint had been filed. Why not just follow the normal procedures for issuance of a warrant? What a waste!

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The statute was amended a few years ago after similar abuses. It should be obvious that the law still does not do a good job of providing a fair forum for airing grievances. It should finally be repealed.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hospital releases judge after accident

By ARENA WELCH
Eagle Staff Writer

A Tyler-based judge who oversaw District Judge Rick Davis' Court of Inquiry hearing was released from the hospital early Friday after suffering minor injuries when her car struck a cow, authorities said.

District Judge Cynthia Stevens Kent was eastbound on Texas 21 just north of F.M. 2038 at 9:30 p.m. Thursday when her Lincoln Town Car struck a cow, according to Texas Department of Public Safety reports.

The judge's car went airborne and struck a chain link fence surrounded by brush before coming to rest, said Trooper Jonathan Hunter.

"Judge Kent didn't have time to swerve," Hunter said. "The cow was right there. It was just too late."

Kent, who will turn 52 Saturday, had just concluded the two-day Court of Inquiry proceeding at the Brazos County Courthouse.

A Dodge Ram truck that was following the judge hit the same cow, Hunter said. The driver, 22-year-old Josh Dobbs, veered to the left, crossing both westbound lanes and came to rest in the ditch, the trooper said.

Minutes later, an eastbound Chevrolet Tahoe driven by 41-year-old Connie Wilson ran over the cow and stopped on the edge of the highway, Hunter said.

Kent's car was totaled, but the Dodge Ram and Chevrolet Tahoe sustained only minor damage, Hunter said.

The judge and her 22-year-old law clerk, Sunita Shirodkar of Tyler, were taken to St. Joseph Regional Health Center in Bryan. Kent was treated for neck injuries and Shirodkar was treated for chest injuries, Hunter said.

Dobbs, who lives in Bryan, and Wilson, a Buffalo resident, were not injured. Three passengers who were riding with Wilson also were unscathed.

Kent could not be reached Friday.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to the cow?

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now nicknamed "Hamburger."

posted Hide Post
From the College Station International Wire Service and Almanac:

(UP) Intelligence sources from the scene of a multi-vehicle PILE-up have revealed information not previously known to reporters here at the Almanac. While preparing a story disclosing the local constable's secret monitoring of the Bedias Feed Store and Coffee Shop's financial assets, the Almanac discovered that a subversive group, masquerading as third year freshmen at the university nearby, recruited, trained and encouraged the suicide attack of the mysterious, wandering heifer. The animal, it has been discovered, was a member of Al-Cowda, an off-shoot of the infamous Talibull sect of bovinian radicals. In a rare twist of fate, another victim, a true freshman with only two years in the Corps, driving his Dodge, accidently plowed into the horned obstacle, and when he was loaded into the ambulance, the 32-year-old Leonard Bilfsmelter was heard telling paramedics that he had never seen a ram that big; and "...up close, it didn't really look like" his Dodge's hood ornament, after all. "I thought to myself, just before the lights went out, Man, that is one big ram..." he moaned.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AP, you truly deliver! Smile

posted Hide Post
Gives new meaning to the term--something that can actually be eaten! And wonderfully tenderized.

Anyone else peturbed by the length of time the judicial commission is going to take looking into Judge Davis? The county deserves a thorough but prompt investigation and resolution. That sort of delay is detrimental to everyone involved.

[This message was edited by John Stride on 07-10-06 at .]

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be as quick and speedy as the Court of Inquiry was held (2 months).

posted Hide Post
AP reported Sunday it could take years. (see TDCAA's Issues in Prosecution) You would think it could dealt with in a few months!

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone considering (or has there been) a greivance filed against the dumpster diving lawyer?

I wonder what Jay Leno could do with the facts of this "inquiry"?

Posts: 24 | Location: Odessa, Texas | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post