TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    injury to a child
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

injury to a child Login/Join 
posted
I have an injury to a child case in which the child had several broken bones inculding three broken limbs. Should I indict theses as different counts or different cases? Or should it be one case with different paragraphs?

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can prove the defendant took a pause between multiple assaultive periods, then you have separate offenses. See, e.g., Sanchez v. State, 269 S.W.3d 169, 170-71, No. 07-07-0350-CR, slip op. at 2-5 (Tex. App.---Amarillo 2008, pet. ref'd).

If you can't prove the defendant took a pause between multiple assaultive periods, then you probably have proof of the essential element of serious bodily injury to the child established in different ways. In this latter situation, you're probably looking at a single indictment with alternative paragraphs. See Villanueva v. State, 227 S.W.3d 744, 745-49, No. PD-0718-06 (Tex. Crim. App. 2007). Read also Judge Cochran's concurrence, explaining that the jury need not be unanimous about the acts or omissions because they all involve the same injury to the same child during the same transaction with a similar level of culpability. Id. at 751.

I wish the caselaw were different (i.e., the caselaw said each different blow to a kiddo was a different crime subject to multiple punishments even when multiple blows part of the same criminal transaction), but I fear that the caselaw doesn't permit it.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate your assistance!

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post