TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Can Theft of Service conviction be used to enhance Theft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Theft of Service conviction be used to enhance Theft Login/Join 
posted
Section 31.03(e)(4)(D) of the Texas Penal Code makes theft of property under $1,500 a SJF if the defendant has previously been convicted two or more times of any grade of theft.

Can you use a theft of services conviction for one of those prior theft convictions or do only convictions under 31.03 count? (I've found case law that says you can't use Burglary with Intent to Committ a Theft or Forgery, but I wasn't able to find anything about whether a prior Theft of Services conviction could be used.)

Posts: 11 | Registered: August 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has come up a few times over the years on the forum without a black-letter solution surfacing. The consensus here in the past has been "Ummm... sure. I don't see why not."

I've just scanned through all the cases I can find again and I do not find anything on point.

So... let us know what the appeals court says! Wink

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post