TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    GPS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS Login/Join 
posted
I have a trial in two weeks on a theft case where the defendant stole an item that the complainant had placed a GPS device on.

Do I need to have some sort of expert witness to explain the GPS? If so, who? If so, is there a predicate that anybody has?

Or, has GPS become scientifically acceptable enough that I can merely ask the complainant about the system he used and ask him about the coordinates that he was getting notifications of?

Please help...running out of time. If more details about the case are needed, please ask.

Posts: 3 | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brown v. State 163 S.W.3d 818 Tex.App.–Dallas,2005

Should help

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A question, just out of curiosity. . . Are you adding the cost of the GPS device to the value of the item, for theft purposes?

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The personnel from your 911 addressing system at your local council of government may have someone that may be able to assist you in explaining how the GPS system works.

Posts: 55 | Location: Palestine, Tx | Registered: February 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask the judge to take judicial notice of Wikipedia:

Details.

You can even rely on Wikipedia for that concept:

Details.

(Of course, I'm kidding.)

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turns out Wikipedia is a good enough source for at least one court of appeals. Check out footnote 1 in this opinion.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post