Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cop car Login/Join 
posted
The next time you're pulled over for speeding, you might be surprised by what you see in the rearview. Ford recently unveiled its replacement for the Crown-Victoria-based Police Interceptor -- and it's a Taurus.

Details.

[What other new stuff would you like to see in the car? How about a camera under the back seat that captures the defendant tossing drugs on the floor. And, then, a system that hoovers up the substance and seals it in a bag with a date and time stamp. Perhaps it could even have the ability to do a preliminary drug test and announce it to the defendant and then provide Miranda warnings.]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until recently, the Italian police drove forfeited Ferarris, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis. Seems that the Mafia did not take kindly to the idea and had the politicans change that.

http://mafiatoday.com/sicilian-mafiandrangheta/italian-police-to-stop-driving-mafia-luxury-cars/

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't they use the Taurus in Robocop? Is this foreshadowing?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that was a sux 6000?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, that thing is sweet!

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/fakegt/StarskyHutch.jpg

I had forgotten all about the raging red tomato, the Gran Torino, of Starsky and Hutch. All show and no go.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John A. Stride:
Until recently, the Italian police drove forfeited Ferarris, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis. Seems that the Mafia did not take kindly to the idea and had the politicans change that.

http://mafiatoday.com/sicilian-mafiandrangheta/italian-police-to-stop-driving-mafia-luxury-cars/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the quote below from the article, it looks like the judges will be driving the good cars:

"In a statement the logistics section of the Department of Public Security said: "In order to keep costs to a minimum all police vehicles will now have to be limited to 2.5 litre engines, all luxury cars above that size that have been seized will no longer be used and will instead be kept in judicial custody."

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I prosecuted in Zimbabwe, the national police would occasionally send to my district the "Highway Patrol," which would be a Jag or BMW, with 2 cops. One would set up rubber hoses across the highway, so that they could measure speed of passing vehicles. If someone was speeding, he'd signal the guy in the Jag, who'd pull him over. I think I saw them twice in my time there.

During the Rhodesian War, everyone drove as fast as they could to avoid ambushes by the terrs. This habit continued after the war. Most of the police drove old-style Land Rovers, which have tiny engines, and are geared way, way down. They can climb a tree, but they are extremely slow. I was in a police Land Rover once, going down the highway, when a BMW or Merc passed us, and left us in the dust. Our driver never attempted to do anything--there was no point.

I once had a case where a kid living out in the bush, ran in front of a bus, and was killed. The magistrate wanted to make an inspection in loco--go to the scene of the accident. I was the only one who had a D/L, so I checked out a police Land Rover from the police motor T, and the magistrate, defendant, interpreter, and bailiff climbed in. We drove for what seemed like hours, our Rover grinding up hills, and easing down the backsides on the gravel roads, with constant shifting, till at last we got the the scene. Then we returned. It took most of the day and was pretty exhausting.

A few weeks later I drove to the same spot in my Ford Cortina, and I was there in no time.

I do not recommend police go to Land Rovers.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 100 | Location: Beaumont, Texas, USA | Registered: February 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Quite a resilient car that was.

What about this one?

posted Hide Post
They have nothing on the new enviromentally friendly police cars. BMW engine is nice

http://www.carbonmotors.com/machine/specifications

[This message was edited by East Tex ADA on 03-23-10 at .]

[This message was edited by East Tex ADA on 03-23-10 at .]

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I think you have to push it backwards to wind it up and then let it go after you hear it click. If you put a penny in the back license plate it even does a wheelie.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 03-23-10 at .]

posted Hide Post
They must be special-edition releases by Fairfield Mint. The last two visits I made to the UK, I didn't see a single officer or car. They have replaced them all with cameras in boxes on poles alongside the roads and security cameras around the shops. I presume that when they spot anything on their TV, they send the UK version of a SWAT team in-- probably dressed up in all-black like ninjas but with checked caps.

And I agree with Terry, having driven a few myself,a Landrover is great on the farm, ranch, or on a expedition but they never made good highway vehicles. They are low geared, underpowered bricks. Their saving grace is high clearance and 4wd. Some things in the USA--read Texas-- really are better. Give me a fullsize, 4wd, diesel pickup anyday.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Kent PD arrive at the scene of a disturbance in one of those babies, you know the unruly crowd is going to give him respect when he dismounts. The car all but says out loud:

I AM THE POLICE!

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post