TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sentence Reduced for Killer With "Aggression Genes"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sentence Reduced for Killer With "Aggression Genes" Login/Join 
posted
Murderer with 'aggression genes' gets sentence cut

A judge's decision to reduce a killer's sentence because he has genetic mutations linked to violence raises a thorny question: can your genes ever absolve you of responsibility for a particular act?

In 2007, Abdelmalek Bayout admitted to stabbing and killing a man and received a sentenced of 9 years and 2 months. Last week, Nature reported that Pier Valerio Reinotti, an appeal court judge in Trieste, Italy, cut Bayout's sentence by a year after finding out he has gene variants linked to aggression. Leaving aside the question of whether this link is well enough understood to justify Reinotti's decision, should genes ever be considered a legitimate defence?

[... snip ...]

Link

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm mystified as to how a judge could make a finding that you were genetically predisposed to commit violent crime, and then come to the conclusion that such predisposition meant you should be released *earlier*.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Brody. If he's genetically predisposed towards violence, that means he can't be rehabilitated and should be locked away for everyone's safety.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me, three. Seems like the very definition of "future dangerousness." I would think that would be much better state's evidence than defense.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any bets on whether the judge has idiot genes?

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be fair to increase the sentence for those that don't have it, on the theory that they are even more responsible for their actions? Seems like a slippery slope.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to take a bet that this judge and judge Charlie Baird are related?

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post