TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Tragic Accident or Negligent Homicide?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tragic Accident or Negligent Homicide? Login/Join 
posted
Obviously we don't have all of the facts but any general thoughts on criminal prosecution of such deaths.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9120016?MSNHPHCP>1=39002

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well according to the FoxSports poll of (so far) 138,774 respondents, 60% say no charges should be filed. Each one of these individuals is a potential member of any criminal jury. So a conviction seems unlikely.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard on the news the heat index was 94 degrees. That's not that hot! Certainly not hot enough to be criminal negligence. At my high school, we had football and cheerleader practice in the summer and those poor summer band kids were passing out right and left from the heat.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that some school football programs--UT included-use a temperature monitor in capsule form that the player swallows before practice. It transmits internal temp readings which alert coaches if the player's internal body temperature gets too hight.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several news programs have said the coach restricted water breaks and another player had passed out several minutes before this. Then there have been deaths from water saturation - so was the coach correct in restricting water breaks? Difficult call - but also news reports that when he first went down the coaches were not the ones who responded, it was the players who carried him off the field. Just because others have done it in the past and it may or may not have resulted in deaths is there a line when it becomes too reckless?

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that's the problem with trying a case in the media. We don't have all the facts.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post