TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Quote of the Day: Constituents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day: Constituents Login/Join 
posted
quote:
"I will just say from the standpoint of someone who's up for reelection, I've never had a constituent approach me and say, "Gee Senator, we need more people on probation" or "I wish you would parole more felons." Not a single constituent."
-- Texas State Senator Steve Ogden (R-Bryan)

And yet, every session . . .

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny, that was exactly the context in which it was said during the hearing two weeks ago ....

Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a constituent say "Could you PLEASE raise taxes so that there is enough $ to lock them all up for the maximum term and throw away the key". Or even heard a constituent say " could you PLEASE raise my taxes - they are not nearly high enough!

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
However, in 1993, when the Legislature put out a bond issue to the public for a 1 billion dollar bond to pay for construction of prisons, it passed overwhelmingly. As it would today.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent point, JB ... and probably also an excellent example of the disconnect between our elected legislators and the public at large.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post