TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jury Tampering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury Tampering Login/Join 
posted
Is it jury tampering after a misdemeanor DWI trial to let the jury know after a guilty verdict that the defendant has had a prior DWI conviction?

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hasn't the jury been discharged by then? If so, there is no "jury" with which to tamper.

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if it's a guilty verdict, going to the judge for punishment, the jurors are free to remain in the courtroom and discover this information themselves, right?

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't this a forum for prosecutors?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 64 | Location: Brazos County, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a disgruntled defendant/family member question, that's all.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to tell them is a little-known situation in juris prudence known in the latin as jury pampering.

Exitus only-um

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can it be considered jury tampering for any future jury service since potentially they could get called again and now they would know that a DWI could be a 2nd? I tell juries all the time that the guy had a prior but an experienced defense attorney/former prosecutor cautioned me against it.

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an ethics rule that governs attorney conduct with persons that might affect future jury service. But telling a discharged jury a fact, i.e. that a given defendant had a prior, would not seem to run afoul of that. After all, we tell them also that they have to decide cases based on what they hear in court, so they are already well aware that there might be other information out there. We have yet another snow day so I don't have my ethics books to see how that rule has been construed or even what rule number it is.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well if this person is on a future jury with the same defendant, who they know had at least two DWI convictions...one for which they found him guilty, wouldn't the proper voir dire unearth this fact so the defendant can strike?

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would think that the old question "Do any of you know Mr. X?" would reveal the fact that a panel member knew him. Sometimes, though, jurors don't snap to it. As a warranty and repairs lawyer, mostly, I think I would prefer prosecutors talking to discharged jurors to be pretty circumspect in talking to them. Ask questions, figure out what was important to them, learn what other jurors might like to hear. When they tell you "we wanted to know whether he had any priors," the more prudent answer might be, "Well, we are only allowed to offer evidence of other offenses under limited circumstances..." and not discuss his other DWI. Read the ethics rule and see what you think.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AP, after all these years, you still crack me up.

And that's a good thing.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
imalittlepunchdrunkbecauseivespenttheweekwithourotherbassplayerhereatinvestigatorsschoolinsanantoniohehasbeenbehavingmostly

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
didyoutrythenewpopcornandsushirestaurantoverbytheAlamo?

Sorry, the ee cummings stuff doesn't account for historical Texas landmarks.