TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Dumbest appellate argument EVER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumbest appellate argument EVER Login/Join 
posted
Brief fact scenario:

Defendant and brother murder their elderly father by beating him to death.
EMT first responder asks father what happened to him?
Father tells the EMT that Appellant kicked him in the head and bit him.

Appellant's "Point of Error"
o Appellant argues the statement by the father violates the Confrontation Clause b/c the prosecution never called the father to testify!
Choose the best answer:

That argument:
A. Proves that the attorney is unethical
B. Proves that the attorney is incredibly stupid
C. Proves that the attorney is ballsy
D. All of the above

Posts: 95 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I've had dumber. Wink Just finished working on one where the defendant claimed a pre-arrest questioning violated... wait for it... his rights under Art.I sec.10 of the Texas Constitution, that no one shall be held to answer for a felony except upon indictment by a grand jury. Because questioning him was "holding him to answer", of course!

Questioner was also a nun, not a cop, but let's not go there...

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lori,

That argument has the ring of a person who has just killed his parents seeking for mercy because he is now an orphan!!!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a writ saying that his trial should be reversed because the Texas flag had gold fringe.

----ok, so that was pro se....but still.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rk:
We had a writ saying that his trial should be reversed because the Texas flag had gold fringe.

----ok, so that was pro se....but still.

Ah, yes. The military tribunal argument. Did he claim a copyright on his name, stating you owed him money for using it in the indictment?

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about, "You can't execute me because I need to meet with the victim, and I just haven't been able to find time in the last DECADE."

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post