TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DPS Highway Patrol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DPS Highway Patrol Login/Join 
posted
I am curious whether other jurisdictions are having problems, during the intake stage, with DPS Highway Patrol troopers not wanting to do any follow-up on their cases after the initial traffic stop.

All of the other law enforcement agencies in my jurisdiction will provide additional information after they submit a case if it is requested. However, the Highway Patrol Troopers feel after they make the arrest they are done. If I need anything additional, such as a writtten statement from the one and only wheel witness on a DWI, it is my responsibility to take the statement myself.

Is this a universal problem?

Posts: 66 | Location: New Braunfels, Texas, USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other people may have a different view, but mine is that it is within every prosecutor's discretion to file a case, or NOT. If you have an officer from ANY department that can't be bothered to give you what you need to make a successful case, you should invite them to take it elsewhere to file. That's just me, I could be wrong.

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time we have had problems with some troopers not doing any follow up. We try to weed that out at intake. We will not accept a case unless the case is ready to go, including necessary statements. Therefore, we will send the case back with the officer if it is not all there. Still, there are some troopers who will not get what we need to prosecute. If that is your problem, I have found a couple phone calls up his or her chain of command can do wonders. Start with his Sgt. and move up if necessary.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worked in two different counties thus far. I've had two completely different experiences. I think that Dan has it right. It depends on the trooper and the supervisor. Unfortunately, your experience is not unique. Though, knowing it isn't may bring some comfort.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too agree with Dan. A visit with the Sgt. usually works wonders.

Posts: 5 | Location: Newton, Texas | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the DPS in my area, but I know that our DA has a check list that we fill out and attach to our case reports when going to the DA's office. This is to make sure you have all the correct stuff you have for a good case. If we don't have our witnesses statements, names, and so forth we don't send our reports till we have them completely ready. I dont' believe we have ever had a case sent back to us because we lacked something. If we ever do i am sure we will go out and contact whom ever we need to so we can get what the DA needs for the case.

Posts: 6 | Location: San Saba, Texas, USA | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post