TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Anyone else run across one of these?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else run across one of these? Login/Join 
posted
I have an odd (to me, at least) case that was filed here recently. Officers happened upon some miscreants hanging out in a WalMart parking lot in the wee hours with some interesting stuff in their car, including a laptop, some kind of credit/debit card scanning device, and a bunch of store gift cards. While they wouldn't say where or from whom they got this brilliant idea, they did give statements: apparently they somehow added a false balance to one of their checking accounts with the scanner, and then used that "money" to go purchase all these gift cards.

He's supposed to be getting the bank records on the debit card that was used, but as of yet, my officer hasn't found anyone willing and able to take a look at the computer to find out the specifics and the extent of what they were doing. Somehow, I'm kind of doubting our little geniuses were the ones to initiate this, and thought if others here have had similar cases, you might be able to share some tips on things like who you got to do the computer analysis, and whether the AG or any of the federal agencies were at all helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 102 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post