TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Enhancements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enhancements Login/Join 
posted
Got a guy indicted for burg/bldg. Have prior felonies (not state jail felonies) from 1993 & 1990 to enhance. Also have two other non-SJF felony priors from 1990 and one non-SJF prior from 1989.

All are alleged sequentially in the indictment.

Is his punishment range still only 2-20 TDC? Or can we go higher by using the other 3 priors?

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once an offense is enhanced under 12.42(a)(2) to a second degree felony you have arrived at the final resting spot. Webb, 12 S.W.3d 808.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I guess we're just wasting ink when we allege all their priors, huh?

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not if it saves a trial. If by listing the enhancements it convinces the defendant to plea instead of face the max from a jury it's not a waste in my opinion.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can also serve as notice for other purposes, i.e. 37.07, and may save you if one of your principal priors develops a defect, e.g. non-comparable fingerprints or a writ.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Y'all are right and that's exactly why I spell out every single stinkin' prior I can find in my indictments - just in case one's bad, or void, or something.

A judge has griped about the huge amount of material in the indictments, but hey, it's the best way to put defendant on notice, huh?