TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Quandry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quandry Login/Join 
posted
Can a burglary of a church be indicted as a 2nd Degree if the Indictment charges that the church is "the House of God"?

Posts: 23 | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who will you subpoena to prove ownership/greater right to possess? Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under 803(16), I would cite Matthew 16:18.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The statute requires the structure be adapted for the overnight accomodation of persons. If there is a bedroom somewhere in the building or any attached part of the structure, you could show it was a habitation. However, simply alleging the "House of God," while adding a certain gravitas, will probably not do the trick.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hess:
Under 803(16), I would cite Matthew 16:18.

"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

Not sure how that does the trick, either.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My response was to the ownership question. I tried to put one of those happyface things next to my response, but I am technologically challenged. Wink

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I did it!!!

posted Hide Post
"I am about to build a house for the name of the LORD my God, dedicating it to Him."
(After the House was finished) "Then the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud, so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God."
2 Chronicles 2:4; 5:13-14.

So, it appears that if the builder intended for God to live there and God made his presence felt in some meaningful way, that constitutes the "House of God." Makes sense to me. Would make for a fun jury trial!

Posts: 69 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are probably in much better shape if the church has been used as an emergency shelter (snow storms, hurricane, etc.). A lot of chuches now alos have a youth or activity center with a bathroom that has showers, and many have a kitchen, so you may look at those factors as well.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The word build in Matthew 16:18 comes from the Greek word 'oikodomeo' to be a house-builder.

oiokov - a house, an inhabited house, home, the house of God, any dwelling place.

Sounds like a good argument, except 'church' ['ekklesia'] means 'called out ones' or assembly, not a building, raising a virtually insurmountable jurisdictional defense. Motion to dismiss granted.

[This message was edited by Waco on 12-29-07 at .]

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post