TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Mentally Retarded Defendant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mentally Retarded Defendant Login/Join 
posted
I have a defendant set for trial on an Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child case. He was 17 and the victim was 11. The defendant is mentally retarded. Does anyone know of any alternative to the criminal justice system for such an offender? He needs to be monitored to protect future victims, but he doesn't need to go to prison. Probation? I'm not sure that option is viable either.

Posts: 13 | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Has the defendant been examined for competency?

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess you could try for a commitment under Ch. 593 of the Health & Safety Code.

You might also look at the Sexually Violent Predator provisions in Chapter 841 of the Health and Safety Code. See Commitment of Fisher v. State, 123 S.W.3d 828 (Tex.App. -- Corpus Christi 2003, pet. granted).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defense attorney claims he is completely competant. I have never tried to have a defendant examined without the defense attorney's approval -- is there a mechanism to do so? The defense lawyer doesn't want him examined!

Assuming he's competant, what else can we do?

Posts: 13 | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what is right! if you think they are incompetent you can request that they be examined over the objections of the Defense attorney. Few will risk a chance of a lawsuit by objecting too strongly. At the very least let the Judge know.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a case like that when I was a prosecutor. We ended up getting him a guardian, and he was placed at a ranch for young mentally retarded adults. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Posts: 16 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: July 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The defendant can be both mentally retarded and mentally competent to stand trial. Just depends on the level of MR. I had a female defendant placed in a ranch, also, that was arranged with MHMR.

Posts: 283 | Location: Montague, Texas, USA | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under CCP Art. 46B.004(1) you have the right to suggest to the court that the defendant may be incompetent to stand trial.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post