TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Montgomery County is posting names of DWI Arrestees on Twitter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montgomery County is posting names of DWI Arrestees on Twitter Login/Join 
posted

Question:
Check out the link:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/091218-montgomery-county-tweet-dwi

What do you think of Montgomery County's Plan to post the names of those arrested for DWI on Twitter?

Choices:
I like it but don't intend to try it in my County
I like it and I do intend to try it in my County
I don't like it a little
I don't like it a lot

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can tweets ever really be deleted? What if there was an expunction order down the line? I'm not opposed to public information being made public, but if there was ever a time that it is no longer public, I think that could create a liability problem. Just a thought.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Engaging in activities that fall outside core prosecution duties can create liability and open the door to lawsuits. For example:

"A Guadalupe County attorney is not immune from a lawsuit accusing her of illegally entering a Texas woman's home and helping to remove 47 dogs and cats, the 5th Circuit ruled."

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MCDA Twitter page is a method to inform the public, victims, and the media about what is going on at the office and in the courts of Montgomery County. It is no different than a press release, except it is posted on Twitter. Our No Refusal tweets are one of many items that get posted. Other information we post include significant trial cases, press releases, law enforcement news, sentencing information, etc.

To view the Twitter page, look for Brett Ligon or paste this in the search area on Twitter: MontgomeryTXDAO

Whatever anybody's opinion is on news releases via Twitter, it is definitely getting people to think about DWI over the holiday season!

Posts: 68 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: June 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The news article claims that the names of individuals arrested are going to be posted, but on the Twitter page there are not any individual named. Seems like a great idea to put out stats and detail enforcement efforts; I just do not see any upside for the prosecutor's office to publish individual defendant's names on a "social networking forum".

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting that defense attorneys in the article talked about constitutional issues. How is this different than the newspaper using open records requests and posting arrest reports and mug shots? Or names and offenses being announced in open court? Or dockets posted and required by law where counties do not have on-line postings...or on-line postings of court settings?

Different issue that may come up: I do wonder if it would require the office to then give out names and offenses to anyone who asks--because that open records rule that it is either public or not? THat might be mixing rules--public record vs. open record, and I guess as long as you gave the info (which obviously that office is ok with) then maybe that wouldn't really be an issue.

Just an aside, the fact that defendants think it's "embarrassing" is probably a good thing. There is some county, maybe Williamson?, where there is this publication with pictures and offenses that people have committed that comes out like once a month or week (not put out by prosecutor and I don't know if it's arrests or convictions). The person telling me about it LOVED it, and it was a big deal for her and her friends to buy them and to read who had been in trouble for what--especially in a small community where the odds are high that there will be recognizable faces. I would think that humiliation is a good deterrent, and might keep otherwise law abiding citizens from drinking too much and driving, or shoplifting on a whim or something like that just for fear of people knowing if you get in trouble. Might even keep a few wife beaters from finding the next girlfriend to smack.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Warren is going viral!

MSNCB.com takes up the issue

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post