TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Gift Card as Debit Card Abuse?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift Card as Debit Card Abuse? Login/Join 
posted
Got 2 employees of a children's home that took a Walmart Gift Card worth $750 and went shopping for themselves. This place has a lot of similar issues, and I'd love to file a felony if I can find one. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of ANY Walmart gift cards that would fit the definition of a debit card under 32.31. I'm going to file the M/A theft, but I'd love to find a felony that fit.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: Hockley County, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are on the right track....unfortunately!!!! My understanding is that a gift card is a just a piece of property with a value of the face value of the card.

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at § 31.03(f)(3(B)--I'm guessing the children's home is a non-profit which will allow you to make the theft a State Jail Felony offense.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert, you are a genius. THANK YOU!!!!! I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the non-profit provision. Crisis averted.

Posts: 5 | Location: Hockley County, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post