TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jazz Fest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jazz Fest Login/Join 
posted
I'm headed for the New Orleans Jazz Festival at the end of this month. I'm curious as to whether there are other prosecutors who have attended the Festival. Do you find that it improves your performance in the courtroom?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you aiming to write it off as a business expense on your taxes if it improves your courtroom performance?

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you can see from the schedule, there is a lot of planning that must be done to hear the maximum amount of music in the time given. Sort of like figuring out how and when to introduce evidence in court.

In addition, there is much people watching. You can learn a lot about human behavior.

And, of course, there is food and beverages.

And, they have their own chat web forum.

What's the difference between Jazz Fest and, say, any TDCAA conference?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you will be attending the jazz session of Furius Stiles and Bionik Brown to develop some rhythm for your next cross-examination. Just don't try to get CLE credit for it! Cool

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have seen me dance or sing karaoke, you would know that rhythm is not my strong suit. I can use all the help I can get.

posted Hide Post
As one of those who have seen John do karaoke, I can confirm that it is far more visual than vocal. Anyone in Galveston a few years back can attest to that.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, may I suggest "The Cat's Meow" on Rue Bourbon as a place to demonstrate your singing prowess? It's a fun place to kill a few hours in the early afternoon. (And, yes, they have Garth Brooks on the song selection list.)

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Times past, Jazz & Heritage was much the preferable N.O. party, all about the music, less about the drunken Mardi-Gras style brawl than now. If you really want to listen studiously, check out some of the smaller non-FQ venues where great players you never knew of and some you did, drop in and jam, unofficially. If not, then "party till the money run out!"

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turns out that those in the medical profession can improve their skills through forms of amusement as well. Have a safe trip.Video Games

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You only have one more week to attend. Don't miss it.

posted Hide Post
After Midnight, hit Preservation Hall in the Quarter. Ask any local, it is the place to hear the best impromptu performances. It's unbelievable.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great photo, Mac looks like he hasn't aged 5 minutes in 20 years.. Was that with a digital?

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't take credit for the photo of Dr. John. While I did catch his set (and it was magnificent), the photo came from the official Jazz Fest web site, which has lots of good shots from the fest.

My photos, which are digital, are a little more blurry. Difficult shooting conditions.

posted Hide Post
Anytime you get to hear him play, you're lucky. At least to hear him tell it, he's the last of a breed, not another "Shouta" coming along after him.