TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pen Packets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pen Packets Login/Join 
posted
For the past year it seems getting prison records (pen packets) from TDCJ is taking forever. I have always faxed my request, and usually within 2 weeks I have the documents. Now it is taking 3 to 6 months or even longer. I have sent request 2 and 3 times for the same documents. Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem and how it should be addressed. Appreciate any input!!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Hood County District Attorney | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. They are no longer sending if sent on fsjs- only Id time. Every Tdc number goes to a specific facility and that facility is supposed to send it. So make sure your Tdc numbers match up on all received bc they will arrive at different times.

Posts: 2 | Location: tyler texas, usa | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are having trouble, too. We ordered some over 2 months ago that never came in. Result? No enhancements and difficulty proving guilt for a failure to register case. Ridiculous.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prepare the indictments and not having the pen packets is causing me to have to write each county of commitment for the judgments to add the enhancements. Time consuming!!!! Or we go ahead and indict without enhancements and file the Notice of Enhancement when the pen packet is received.

Posts: 3 | Location: Hood County District Attorney | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that assumes that the county of conviction has useable records, which is often not the case, sadly.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got at least one pen packet that used a Rule 902 business records affidavit instead of being under seal. With the R 902 Affidavit, you have to give notice to the def. before the packet is admissible, while public records under seal do not have any notice requirement with a waiting period. Our request letter now specifies we want the pen packs certified under seal and they have complied, but it makes you wonder: why are they trying to re-invent the wheel?

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if you started issuing subpoenas instead of request letters?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is true that a lot of counties no longer have the judgments we need if they are older. I did get a call yesterday from the Vice Chairman of Classification and Records in response to my post. He is aware of the problem and advised they are working on getting things running smoothly and getting the records to us quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!! Smile

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vivian Sturdivant:
I did get a call yesterday from the Vice Chairman of Classification and Records in response to my post.

All hail the power of TDCAA's user forums! Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post