TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    ETOH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ETOH Login/Join 
posted
how does one convert a 0.39 ETOH result on a blood test into BAC(grams of alcohl per 100 mL of blood)? i thought i went to law school so i could avoid this sort of math and science, but here i am.

also, how the heck is ETOH supposed to be an abbreviation for ethanol?

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drew,

As someone who did poorly in High School Math and took no math in college I share your pain. The good news is that a relatively simple math formula will get you where you need to be. I assume this is a hospital drawn sample (that tested Plasma or Serum) that you are trying to translate to whole blood terms. The formula to use (per my expert) is to divide the hospital ETOH number by 1.16 and that will give you a .33 result. A treatise source for that formula is Medical-Legal Aspects of Alcohol 4th Edition (pg 63)

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"How the heck is ETOH supposed to be an abbreviation for ethanol?"

Ah, chemistry.

"OH" signifies alcohol. (-OH is what is called a hydroxyl functional group; it's made from an oxygen atom "O" attached to a hydrogen atom "H").

"ET" tells you which kind of alcohol (meaning what is attached to the -OH group), here ethyl alcohol aka ethanol (the type of alcohol that results from natural fermentation, the kind of alcohol people drink). Actually, there is nothing that goes by E or T attached; ethyl refers to a complex called an ethyl radical, made of carbon and hydrogen arranged a certain way.

Further info at:

http://www.chemcases.com/alcohol/index.htm#Alcohol%20and%20Organic%20Substances:

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.33!!!! Eek

wow. well, i guess you learn something new everyday. thanks for your help and the for the cites.

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get these calls all the time from prosecutors. Typically, hospital results are in mg/dl. Since the Texas law is in g/dl a conversion is required. IF the sample is whole blood, then all that one needs to do is move the decimal place over three places. For example, if the whole blood sample from the hospital was 33 mg/dl then the conversion to g/dl would be 0.033 g/dl. Hope this helps.

Artie Waller
Regional Lab Manager
Texas DPS Crime Lab - Abilene

Posts: 3 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post