TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Good predicate for a police officer entering marijuana?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good predicate for a police officer entering marijuana? Login/Join 
posted
Is there anything special, other than the typical authentication, i.e. recognition, same or similar condition, alteration, etc? for a trooper entering pot into evidence? I've subpoenaed the analyst who isn't the original analyst, but has reviewed the report - so, I need to be prepped to enter the pot through the trooper in case D atty makes a crawford objection to the non-testing analyst. I'm also thinking I may get the pot in through the officer, that way we can talk about it twice.

Thanks!

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not need an expert to introduce the pot. The officer can testify based on his training and experience that he recognizes it.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever had the officer light up the evidence during trial, in response to any defense objections that the officer was not qualified to say it was marihuana? Nothing like the pungent odor of MJ floating through the courtroom to convince a jury.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I introduced the pot through the officer. D atty kept objecting as to the officer's ability to recognize marijuana and testify as to what it was. Over and over and over again. The judge sustained some of the objections. It was stupid, but it got done anyway.

The lighting idea is great.

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or, just teach the officer to sing his predicate:

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post