Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ABA Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Do any Texas prosecutors belong to the ABA? If so ... why? They seem to be either opposed to or uninterested in anything remotely prosecutor-friendly ...

------------------------------
ABA backs federal reporter shield law

Chicago Tribune
August 10, 2005

ILLINOIS -- The American Bar Association gave its backing Tuesday to journalists facing jail time, voting to endorse federal protection for those refusing to reveal their sources to prosecutors.

The nation's largest lawyers' group overwhelmingly approved the measure on voice vote at its annual meeting in Chicago. It authorizes the 400,000-member ABA to lobby Congress, where "shield law" proposals are pending.

The ABA declined 30 years ago to back a reporter shield law, but lawyers reconsidered after New York Times reporter Judith Miller was jailed a month ago for refusing to testify to a grand jury investigating the leak of the identity of undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame.

Thirty-one states and the District of Columbia have shield laws protecting reporters from having to identify their confidential sources, but there is no federal protection.

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ABA seems to spend much of its time undermining the work of prosecutors. Witness their anti death-penalty lobby. Unfortunately, it also undermines the work of the nation's legislatures (elected by the people)when it interferes. Since it can't represent all elements of the bar, maybe it should get out of the lobbying business.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't willingly send one dime to the ABA. And yet from time to time there seems to be interest in our (mandatory) State Bar getting into the issue advocacy business.

Posts: 49 | Location: Midland, Texas, USA | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I particularly enjoy when the ABA folks call to solicit my membership. It's fun to listen to them try to defend the ABA from all of the positions it has taken on matters contrary to the interests of law enforcement.

On a semi-related note, are any of y'all members of the Federalist Society? I've been reading some about that organization in connection with the Supreme Court nomination of John Roberts. Sounds like a worthwhile alternative to the ABA.

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my free membership in law school and then told them "adios" after that.

I can't tell you how many phone calls and mailings I recieved trying to get me to renew/join. Even after told "stop calling me".

You are right, they don't do much, if anything, to help out a prosecutor.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm a member of the Texas Bar Ass'n because I have no choice. I have a hard time figuring out exactly how they serve the criminal bar.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the civil bar either, for that matter.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post