TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Citizens applying for arrest warrants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Citizens applying for arrest warrants Login/Join 
posted
An officer with the local PD's wife had a slap fight with her inlaws & wants them arrested for assault. It was out in the county, so the sheriff's office was summoned. The deputy saw the situation for what it was & didn't get a warrant, just handed the case over to my office for review. We looked at it & rejected it for insufficient evidence.

Now the officer has drafted his own complaint, sworn to by his wife & is going JP to JP around the county demanding an arrest warrant. We've given them some heads up about the situation, but he's got one almost convinced. I've reviewed Chapter 15 of the CCP. I can't tell if it takes into account police officers outside of their jurisdiction or other citizens "freelancing" it. Help.

Posts: 50 | Location: Jasper, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Posts: 50 | Location: Jasper, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The officer's wife had a slap-fight with her in-laws...so she fought with his parents? Now he's shopping for a warrant against his parents?

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of folks who got into a similar situation in Denton County almost 10 years ago (one kicked, one slapped), and they filed their own complaints with the JP. I think they received notices to appear in court - I don't recall anything in the court's file about an arrest warrant or bond or anything. Just the complaints. Not saying it was done the procedurally correct way, but I think that's what happened.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The officer's wife had a slap-fight with her in-laws...so she fought with his parents? Now he's shopping for a warrant against his parents?"

Actually, its their son's mother in law.

posted Hide Post
Nevertheless, cue the banjo track.

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it seem that too many people are living their lives as a running audition for a reality TV show?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post