TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Office dress code
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office dress code Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gilleland:
I know a female prosecutor who owns the same pair of shoes in Navy and in Black. Once on a trial day, she wore one of each.

I bet Stacey can't guess who this is!

Well, my nominee was not Stacey, but a friend of Stacey's. Thanks for being honest, Stace!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hats? If ladies wear what Sarah Jessica Parker wore yesterday, I'll pass. Roll Eyes I prefer ladies in hats like those that are worn to the Kentucky Derby. Cool

Here's a clip from the Associated Press Story:
---------------------------------------------
Sarah Jessica Parker channeled her quirkiest Carrie Bradshaw topping off her look with an acorn-and-garden-inspired headpiece from famed British milliner Philip Treacy at Monday's world premiere of "Sex and the City: The Movie" in London.

The hat came complete with flower, grass and a pair of butterflies. Thankfully, there were no squirrels.

Click here for the rest of the story w/ accompanying photo

[This message was edited by The Other AP on 05-14-08 at .]

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now feel so much better about my blue/black shoe mishap, seeing the good company I am in!

Here's another: I went to law school with an unnamed former elected County Attorney who once, during finals, wore a dark colored Converse on one foot and a white crosstrainer on the other. He was a lot more fashion forward than the rest of us, so at first, we all thought maybe it was a new fashion trend that just hadn't made it to Waco yet....

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
quote:
I had it even easier. Green flight suit.

We all should wear the green bag to work. Nothing looks more professional than an Air Force operator!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also a member of the unmatching shoe club. More than once. Which explains one of the reasons that there are always extra shoes in my office. You never know when you will have an emergency situation.

And as far as white shoes, my personal rule that is uless you are a nurse or a tennis player, you really don't have any business wearing white shoes, no matter what the time of year!

Years ago I was in trial with a homicide detective from Houston PD. We were on our lunch break when I happened to look at my hose. I was wearing a black dress, black shoes, and what I thought were black hose. But sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between black and navy, and I suddenly decided that my hose were actually navy. I looked up at the detective and asked him what color he though my hose were. He started to answer, paused, then said, "What color do you want them to be?" I suspect that he had a very successful marriage. ;-)

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you're talking about proper footwear, please remember to include a rule prohibiting house slippers (especially the type that look like cute animals: cats, elephants, etc.). I once had to tell a co-worker that walking around the courthouse wearing her cat slippers was inappropriate and that she had to take them home. We never got along very well after that.

Posts: 22 | Location: Liberty, Texas, USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken,

If you take just 50% of the advice given to you, you will have a dress code as thick as the Houston telephone book. It might be easier to just require your staff to wear a uniform.

For the males, I'd suggest the same uniform as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, but in Grey instead of red, complete with Sam Browne belt, and brown riding boots, with spurs, topped off with a campaign hat. Really looks sharp, and has the air of authority. Trial chiefs could have a couple of "pips" on their shoulder boards, and be allowed to carry a swagger stick, as badges of their authority.

For females, I'd suggest the American Airlines stewardess uniform, circa 1965. Very sharp, understated, and professional.

I hope this proves helpful. Smile

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My County Clerk also wants to adopt a similar dress code and she has received numerous samples from other clerks after posting a similar request on the clerks' user forum. Once we agree on something, I will post the final product.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received a dress code from another county which prohibits the wearing of Army fatigues or clam digggers. What are clam diggers?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the policy of Potter County not to discriminate against military veterans or diggers of any shellfish, whatever the genus or species.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Breen:
For the males, I'd suggest the same uniform as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, but in Grey instead of red, complete with Sam Browne belt, and brown riding boots, with spurs, topped off with a campaign hat. Really looks sharp, and has the air of authority. Trial chiefs could have a couple of "pips" on their shoulder boards, and be allowed to carry a swagger stick, as badges of their authority.
Like this?

I tried to find the great picture of Jim Carrey from "Me, Myself, and Irene" but could not find the one of him in RCMP-like uniform.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people call them Gaucho pants.

"Clam diggers are baggy pants ending at the calf, giving a feeling of the islands of the Caribbean and the limbo. Many times they came with a rope belt to give add a touch of a nautical look. (See Capri Pants and Pedal Pushers the perfect alternative for poodle shirts http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23814.asp for more information.) Popular in the 1950s and 1960s."

The Voice of Women, Online!

Available at Target in 12 styles

Also a band.

and a periodical, from the Pacific Northwest

A place to stay in Oregon.

AND

A place to stay in North Carolina

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken, you really need to get out more. Even a west Texas boy knows what clam diggers are! One of the great things about west Texas is that a guy can wear boots and blue jeans and be dressed appropriately. Except for court, of course. In my office, we do not have to wear underware on Fridays. Never have asked if my folks follow that policy or not. Have never checked, either. Scott, what do you and Randall do in Amarillo?

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You see a pair of prosecutors dressed like those 2 fellows on the left coming at you, and you know you better just say "Yes sir!" and plead guilty.

I don't want to sound like a sexist or anything but obviously, this is not a uniform that a female can wear, without provoking laughter. Which is why I suggested the AA stewardess uniform. Very smart. Very feminine. Very professional. When a female prosecutor comes at you wearing one of those and asks, "would you like to plead guilty today?" most crooks will probably say, "yes ma'am. I would."

BTW, JohnR, what outfit is that?

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You see a pair of prosecutors dressed like those 2 fellows on the left coming at you, and you know you better just say "Yes sir!" and plead guilty.

Either that or they will run like hell. I think I'll stick with a normal suit, Terry.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW, JohnR, what outfit is that?

Rhode Island State Police. Link

Did the public prosecutors back in Zimbabwe wear uniforms, Terry?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken, you really need to get out more. Even a west Texas boy knows what clam diggers are! One of the great things about west Texas is that a guy can wear boots and blue jeans and be dressed appropriately. Except for court, of course. In my office, we do not have to wear underware on Fridays. Never have asked if my folks follow that policy or not. Have never checked, either. Scott, what do you and Randall do in Amarillo?

We have a similar policy, though we do insist on pants. Chaps are an acceptable alternative; again, though, we prefer jeans under them. We think such attire goes nicely with a string tie or ascot.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does that mean you will have an ascot on the next time we see you?

posted Hide Post
If he does, he needs to take off the Ken's cap!

posted Hide Post
JohnR:

Civilian prosecutors did not wear a uniform. The fellows all wore sport jackets--never saw a suit, except for mine.

In the outlying areas, we were supplemented by police officers who were seconded to us, and they wore their police uniforms. It was very similar to the R.I. State Police Uniform, except in the summer, they could wear khaki short pants, that went almost to the knees, and either heavy duty brogans, with very heavy socks that reached almost to the knees, where it was doubled up, OR the same brogans, with leather leggins, that cover the entire calf.

Women police did not wear a man's police uniform, like they do here. They wore a dress and hat that looks very similar to an airline stewardess' uniform.

JohnR: See if you can find a nice stewardess uniform or two, and post it here so Ken can get some good ideas for his staff.

If he takes our advice, and requires uniforms like these, and requires his staff to stay in uniform at the next TDCAA Annual Conference, I'll bet they'll really stand out from the crowd.