TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jury or Judge to assess punishment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury or Judge to assess punishment? Login/Join 
posted
As I read the plain meaning of CCP 37.07, Sec. 2, I take it that if a defendant files a motion for probation before voir dire, unless he also files an election to go to the COURT for punishment, then the JURY WILL assess punishment. I have a judge who feels differently. Anybody got a dispositive case?

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not ask the defendant before trial what he meant by filing the application for probation? If you force the election and the defense attorney just didn't know what he was doing, you have only created a good ineffective assistance of counsel claim.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Point. Don't want to win a battle that will lose the war. Plus, beginning to suspect that perhaps the inartful wording of the statute may have led me astray. Thanks. wink

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post