TDCAA Community
Prosecutor CHL

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/8107015016

May 17, 2013, 16:27
ZackWavrusa
Prosecutor CHL
Our county's elected CA and I are planning on taking the proficiency part of our CHL test next week.

Both of us were under the impression that prosecutors didn't have to take the written portion of the test prior to get their CHL. However, we can't find a section anywhere in the Government code that actually allows this exception. 411.201(h) gives the exception to elected felony prosecutors, but no one else.

Could someone point us in the right direction so we can get this taken care of next week? Or have did we just buy into some kind of prosecutor urban legend? Any help would really be appreciated.

Zack Wavrusa
May 17, 2013, 16:34
Brody V. Burks
I am not aware of any authority excusing you from the written portion. When I got mine, I took it just like everyone else in the course. The real benefit, in any event, is the waiver of the fee and the fact that there are fewer limitations on the places you may legally carry.
May 17, 2013, 20:16
DerekE
411.1882 allows for demonstration of proficiency without written test, and includes County Attorneys. The DPS website has a checklist specifically for prosecutors that explains exactly what you need.
May 21, 2013, 10:22
Hubert
Derek is right. However, taking the course is never bad. It is a great refresher.......