TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Firearms and Probation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms and Probation Login/Join 
posted
Here in Harris County, it seems that one of the standard conditions of community supervision is that the defendant is prohibited from possessing a firearm. This condition seems to be applied regardless of offense -- so, at present, I have a DWI appellant, who has no apparent history of violence or firearms violations, and this condition was part of his community supervision.

What other counties apply this as a standard condition of community supervision, regardless of the crime? If so, has anyone brought a challenge to this condition?

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston | Registered: November 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our county imposes this condition as well. I would be interested in knowing if other prosecutors waive the requirement. I have waived the requirement on the conditions of probation when it seems unjust or disproportionate to the crime.

Posts: 16 | Registered: September 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mad

No more disproportionate than a federal lifetime ban on firearms ownership or possession in response to a single domestic violence conviction of any degree, regardless of the use or non-use of a weapon.

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post