TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Naked in Georgetown
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Naked in Georgetown Login/Join 
posted
Link

According to News 8 Austin, stores have until October 31 to clear 'sexually explicit' materials from the 'potential view' of minors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PenC Sec. 43.24 req'd stores to do this a long long time ago(1974?).

quote:
"Material is considered obscene and/or harmful to minors if its dominant theme, taken as a whole: appeals to the prurient interest in sex, nudity, or excretion;[b] is patently offensive to prevailing standards in the community as a whole; and is utterly without redeeming social value. [b]It is illegal to sell, distribute, or exhibit such material or possess it for any of those purposes. It is also illegal to display the material without sufficient regard for the possibility that a minor might be present," a press release from County Attorney Jana Duty said.

So what is the change? Or has Williamson County had a big problem w/ this and is just granting a buffer period before they crack down?

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the standard is that the material is "utterly without redeeming social value" then maybe they can prosecute the movie theatre for showing "Jackass 2". I merely glimpsed a preview for that movie and I think my IQ dropped 10 points. Wink

Posts: 35 | Location: Williamson County, Texas | Registered: April 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can't prosecute theaters for showing movies that lower viewers' IQs, there are too many of them. (old gringo, the sheltering sky, broken flowers, etc.) it's not just jackass 2. in defense of jackass 2 (a movie i plan to avoid) at least it is honest about what it is supposed to be. there are far too many arty, critical- darling films that just plain suck (human nature, lost in translation [w.t.f.? yes, brackets are appropriate for parantheticals inside parantheticals], election . . . yes, election, except for like two scenes it was DOA, i don't care how much you liked sideways because you really like wine and reruns of wings on the USA network and have now retrospectively adored the director's previous movies). the movie industry would die out and we'd all have to start reading again. what would happen to the internet if there were no more movies to complain about?

and by the way, nice touchdown catch mark, the Texans really needed it. what? brunell, not brunner? dammit! i knew i should never have bought that jackass DVD.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The title of this thread, "Naked in Georgetown", is just a rock and roll song hit waiting to be written.

David-note to self: calm down about the parentheticals.

Very funny post. Smile

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you have a note to self for someone else?

i have no doubt you guys will come up with a "naked in georgetown" song, just don't get too method in the performance.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 09-28-06 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, I think I can speak for the entire band when I say we will all be fully clothed, at all times.

And also David, you can find the answer to the question about notes to self on page 32 of A Perfect Plea.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I have to agree with David about Sideways. I watched 20 minutes (on DVD) and gave up.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto for lost in translation (no caps on purpose). Having lived in Tokyo I at least understood the ads. But couldn't finish the movie.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably going to be difficult to keep A.P. and Nielsen from shedding a few articles when we break into our rousing rendition of "Shake Your Booty."

I'm confidently reassuring myself that y'all are drawing a bright-line distinction between celluloid idiocy (while "Jackass 2" may superficially qualify, I think it's really a heart rending plunge into the psyche of that most misunderstood of tortured souls, the fuzzed out extreme sports sado-masochist), narcissistic art-for-art's-sake pap (do English people get offended by American actors faking a British accent in stilted period pieces?) and real art like "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift".

Troublingly, it seems that some of you haute culture mavens might consider a gem of filmmaking like "Showgirls" to be "utterly without redeeming social value". Sad. Really sad.

(With further apologies to Mariachi Merillat) Don't even try comin' in THIS door. Oh, my. Was that obscene? Red Face Cue the banjo music.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
showgirls was too painful for me, watching jessie from saved by the bell get her innocence stripped from her. it was like i was living a song from the j. geils band. and what would slater have thought? now if it had been lark voorhees or tiffany amber theissen, no problems there.

sadly, i'm getting to the point where pretty much all movies suck. i go see a movie with such low expectations that anything that surpasses that instantly appears like a classic to me . . . until i watch it again and realize it was never good, it just wasn't crap.

posted Hide Post
I agree with everything you said up until Election. I loved that movie and still do. Wonderful stuff. It was "Vote Flick" years before it was "Vote for Pedro".

Posts: 30 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: January 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are so many things i could say right now, but i'll just throw my pepsi at you and run away.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Newell:
showgirls was too painful for me, watching jessie from saved by the bell get her innocence stripped from her. it was like i was living a song from the j. geils band. and what would slater have thought? now if it had been lark voorhees or tiffany amber theissen, no problems there.[QUOTE]

How can I be so much older than you, David? We have so many cultural references in common, yet I never attached to the characters on saved by the bell. I did, however, see the hilarious website posted by screetch where he is trying to save his house from foreclosure because he spent all of his child star money and apparently is not in big demand. Again, my heart did not skip a beat. Have I been doing this too long? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Greg,

I was fine with Screech's website to save his house. (I think he was selling t-shirts?) What's seriously disturbed me is the kinky sex tape he's apparently got out now. Ewwwwwwwww. I'll take Showgirls ANY day over that!

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrea Westerfeld:
Greg,

I was fine with Screech's website to save his house. (I think he was selling t-shirts?) What's seriously disturbed me is the kinky sex tape he's apparently got out now. Ewwwwwwwww. I'll take Showgirls ANY day over that!

Well, Andrea, to go even further, I'd probably take Jackass2 or F&F:Tokyo Drift over Screech's sex tape. Watching Screech's sex tape falls on my things I'd like to do list right under having my toenails removed by pliers, without sedation.

On the other hand, if you are going to release a sex tape for public consumption, I reckon it had better be kinky to compete with Paris Hilton, Tommy/Pamela, etc. For someone the likes of Screech, well, I already know more about his sex life from your post than I ever sought to know.

Still, for these poor forgotten child stars, who fame has forsaken and for whom money no longer flows into their bank account like autumn leaves fall from the tree, they must do something to keep their egos alive. And lord knows we can't expect them to go out and get a real job like the rest of us schmoes.

For further evidence, I submit Danny Bonaduce and the Osborne children. And I rest my case.

posted Hide Post
Though it was my eldest daughter who was the big "Saved by the Bell" fan in our household, I understand the chagrin which arose when Elizabeth Berkley made the graceless transition from wholesome schoolgirl to ho. As I recall, though, the stripping of innocence (and g-strings) was pretty much all her own doing. But that raises the greater lament I have (that is, sadly, almost entirely of my own making). I tend to agree with David that most new movies suck. Unfortunately, however, there appears to be something of a cultural chasm between the esoteric, cultural connoisseurs of this site who suggested serious literary paradigms in the "What are You Reading" thread, on the one hand, and boorish, expired-freshness-date juveniles like myself on the other. In light of this enlightenment gap, I'll refrain from the jokes I was going to make about "Porky's," and simply note my apprehension about what the reaction will be when I reveal "National Lampoon's Animal House," "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "Caddyshack" to be right at the top of my favorite movies of all time.

Sincerely,
Adolescent in Amarillo

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know which side of the chasm I fall on, Scott. So pass the popcorn and let's watch National Lampoon's Vacation again.

I do firmly believe that Vin Diesel and Ice Cube hold the key to the future of our cinematic entertainment, just as Arnold Schwarzenegger held the faith for the great unwashed movie fans like me in the 80's.

The one foreign film I have seen recently was Maria Full of Grace. I enjoyed it, alot more than the last foreign film I watched (trainspotting).

And for all those folks who think that fishing shows are for dutzes, I heartily recommend FISHING WITH JOHN, often shown on the IFC or available on dvd in many places. Best fishing show ever, especially the Tom Waites and Wilhem Defoe episodes. Talk about excitement!

posted Hide Post
Okay you people read all these long non-fiction books I've never heard of, play in bands, memorize every song written in the 20th century and still find time to go to the movies !!!!!

Considering of course the last ten films I viewed were:
Open Season
Everyones Hero
Cars
Hoodwinked
Ice Age II
The Wild
Curious George
Shrek II
Madagascar
Monsters Inc

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
...I reveal "National Lampoon's Animal House," "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "Caddyshack" to be right at the top of my favorite movies of all time.[QUOTE]

Animal House is timeless and can be watched over and over and still remain funny. That being said, it's also getting to the point where it's old enough to be considered a classic which means that it won't be too long before they TRY to re-make it with new up and coming stars and cameo's by some of the original cast, which means it will suck - badly. And when you try to explain it to your kids, who watched it over at a friends house on pay-per-view because there's no way in hades you'd let them (just like your own folks wouldn't let you so you had to sneak over to a friend that had one of those satelite dishes out in the back pasture that looked big enought to communicate with sputnick) how the older was 10 times better, they'll just look at you like you're crazy. (of course if vince vaughn and owen wilson are in it, then it might have a shot - but I doubt it).

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stacey L. Brownlee:
Okay you people read all these long non-fiction books I've never heard of, play in bands, memorize every song written in the 20th century and still find time to go to the movies !!!!!

Considering of course the last ten films I viewed were:
Open Season
Everyones Hero
Cars
Hoodwinked
Ice Age II
The Wild
Curious George
Shrek II
Madagascar
Monsters Inc

You forgot the power rangers.