Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickname Login/Join 
posted
DEFENSE WANTS CLIENT'S NICKNAME BARRED

A defense attorney has asked a judge to bar any references to his client's nickname -- "Scuz" -- in his upcoming murder trial, saying the moniker could negatively influence jurors.

Demetrius "Scuz" Fiorentino, 31, of Coatesville, is charged with the April 2004 robbery and shooting death of Joel "Wellz" Taylor, 19, of Queens, N.Y., during a botched drug deal in a Coatesville crack house in Coatesville.

Defense attorney Laurence Harmelin cited the dictionary definition of scuzzball as "an unpleasant, dirty or dangerous person; creep" and scuzzy as "dirty, shabby or foul in condition or nature."

Harmelin told Common Pleas Judge Phyllis Streitel on Friday that connotations of Fiorentino's nickname would prejudice jurors against the defendant.

Assistant District Attorney Lorraine Finnegan said it would be nearly impossible for witnesses to identify the defendant without using his nickname.

"All of these witnesses are going to have to call him by the name they know," she said. "We're not calling him a scuzzball or scuzzy ... it's 'Scuz' because that is his nickname."

[What nicknames have you seen?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this would be a good addendum to this thread:

'Outlandish Nicknames'

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New nickname - "Innocent"?

" Mr. Witness, do you recodnize the defendant?"
"Yes sir. That's him right there. He's Innocent."
"Are you sure?"
"I am positive. He is Innocent."

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a defendant on more than one occassion whose real first name was Innocent. Needless to say, his parents could not predict the future with any degree of certainty.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To add to my other entries under the other nickname thread, "The Citizen Accused" is a favorite nickname of defense attorneys for their clients.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ozzy Dave, Cadallac Dave, Pommy Steve, Big Bill, Fuzzy Dave, Bookshop Phil, Tex, Irish, Little Steve, and Doc were all friends of mine when I lived in Zimbabwe.

I had an Af who worked for me who's nickname was "Bill." His formal first name was Billiard. I knew of an Af who's given first name was Window Pane, and another who was a witness (I was a Public Prosecutor at the time) who's nom de guerre (he was a former terrorist) was "Fearless Fang." I looked forward to calling him to the witness stand, but didn't get the chance.

While waiting to pay my bill at a little cafe in a hick town in West Texas, I read the cut-out article from the local paper that was taped near the cash register. The story was about some local high school kids who had done something or other. One of the boy's names was "Marijuana," as in "Marijuana Smith." I asked the cashier if that was his real name, and she assured me it was--so I guess it doesn't count as a nick name Smile.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, my 2nd cousin named "Crystal" was named after another relative (who died long before she was born - NOT by overdose).

Just want to clear that up before the East Texas roots thing re-raised its head.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prosecuted more than 1 L.T.(yes named Lubbock Texas) and more than 1 second generation tweeker named Crystal.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a juvi in Ft. Bend give birth while a probationer and she told her PO that she planned to name the baby Mari Juana. The Judge told her she could go to TYC or stay home and change the baby's name (we were holding her MTR for her to give birth). The baby's name is Grace Big Grin

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Stinky Roy"

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Encountered a local subject who had the nickname of "Squirrel" and whenever he was stopped by the police he would identify himself as "Squirrel". "Squirrel who?", the officer would ask. "Squirrel, period" would be his standard reply. Several years later our District Judge aproved his name change to "Squirrel Period". He even is listed in the Rockport phone book under his new name.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knowing Rockport,I wouldn't be surprized if there were not a lot of other Squirrel Periods--or people just like him--listed in the Rockport phone book.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a defendant "Big Sexy" (a 300+ lbs. thief), and another one, "Big Sneaky." The agg. assault case with Big Sneaky started over an argument about "Why your boyfriend be beeping me?" In the offense report, a witness had reportedly yelled, "Run! Big Sneaky got a gun!" as Big Sneaky came into the beauty parlor.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite perp name was a guy named Richard whose alias was "Little Dick" and yes, he stood over 6' tall.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have John Wayne Fregia, Evil Knievel Fregia, and Elvis Presley Fregia in our jail records... and those aren't nicknames. They're the real deal.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, don't forget their sister, Dolly Parton Fregia.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post