TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Attorney representing self on traffic ticket says "Attorney of Record" not notified
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attorney representing self on traffic ticket says "Attorney of Record" not notified Login/Join 
posted
An attorney receives a speeding citation. Notice of JP pretrial setting and requests continuance. His request is on his law firm letterhead with his business address. Notice of reset date is sent somewhere (I think his home address on citation).

He is a no-show for the pretrial and the citation goes into collections. Now facing a higher outstanding balance, he wants to request a deferral based on a new trial for failure to provide notice, thus avoiding additional collection fees. I don't appreciate the cloak-and-dagger approach, but I wonder if he's technically correct?

Arron P. Swink
Assistant County Attorney
Cherokee County, Texas
apswink@cocherokee.org

Posts: 38 | Location: Rusk, Texas  | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should mention he never told me the name of the person who received the citation. Found that out from the court clerk.

Arron P. Swink
Assistant County Attorney
Cherokee County, Texas
apswink@cocherokee.org

Posts: 38 | Location: Rusk, Texas  | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post