TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    stolen prescription pad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stolen prescription pad Login/Join 
posted
One of our local docs recently had a prescription pad stolen. The thief then forged prescriptions for controlled substances and presented the false prescriptions to be filled in another county. I understand that the other county will be prosecuting under the HSC 481.129 Fraud statute. But,do these facts constitute any crime in our county, other than mere theft?

Posts: 89 | Location: Snyder, Texas | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if you can prove that he actually possessed it in your county, there's HSC 481.129(c)(2) ("possesses a prescription for a controlled substance or a prescription form unless the prescription or prescription form is possessed: (bunch of stuff that's not going to apply re doctors, pharmacists, etc.)). Looks like it's a state jail.

Posts: 102 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Don't know how I overlooked that one since that was the statute I started with.

Posts: 89 | Location: Snyder, Texas | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the script has the doc's DEA number printed on it then you might look at Fraudulent Use or Possession of Identifying Information (Penal Code 32.51).

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post