TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Thirty Days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thirty Days Login/Join 
posted
I was intrested if anyone saw the show 30 Days that had Morgan Spurlock inside a county for 30 days. I really liked the way it was done. I thought it was balanced.

Most intresting was his 2 cellmates that got released both seemed so convinced they would never be back in, and yet within 2 weeks they were awaiting trial on new offenses.

Any other comments?

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is almost always a fascinating show. I loved Super Size Me and have enjoyed this new F/X series.

I appreciated the fact that he shows these two guys who seem completely sincere about their desire to reform. His criticism of the warehousing we do - especially for mentally ill defendants - is justified in many ways. But by showing that both key guys were reincarcerated for new offenses (and not "technical violations") within very short periods, he does not ignore reality in an attempt to put on a policy spin. The sad truth is some of the people we prosecute do not want to change.

As a society, I am certain we could do more to help people stay out of trouble in the first place, but as the thread on the British system points out, locking people up does keep crime down. Although, if we are locking up 12 times as many people as the UK I wish we could be even lower than 40% of their crime rate. Frown

Posts: 70 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Whitney

Super Size me was great, however I don't think I will ever walk into a fast food restaurant with out that show in my mind. I think that says it all about the power of good documentary. It also made my belts job a little easier.

30 days is always intresting, this one got me at the end. I belive crime is all about human weakness, those guys walked out in the right frame of mind, but it is just easier to fall back in to their old ways.

I think untill we can get rid of human weakness we do just need to keep locking them up at least when they are in jailo we no they are not hurting anyone else.

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post