Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Curios Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Granny's brass knuckles. Goes along way to letting the jury know what kinda Daddy he must have had (along with upbringing). Leather belt just didn't get the message across so lets kick it up a notch.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never understood how stores in the mall can sell butterfly knives yet you never see push button switchblades in said stores.

I make a distinction regarding large kitchen knife (or any knife with a blade in excess of the legal length limit) vs. a switchblade knife. The illegal length knife is only illegal to possess in public, unless used for sporting (ala a filet knife) or some other exception, whereas a prohibited weapon (i.e. switchblade) is contraband, not legal in any place, be it home or public, such as a sawed-off shotgun or machine gun (absent proper federal license).

So how is it that these knives can be sold in stores throughout the state yet illegal to possess? Is no one enforcing the law, because clearly a butterfly knife operates by gravity and is by PC definition a switchblade.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brass knuckle - my granny's knuckles
brass knuckle buckle
My granny's knuckles

Got my knuckles from Granny Seale
Now I use them to keep it real
Whenever a punk tries to put 'em up
But it's really really old if you look close up.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I have found with butterfly knives, and nunchucks, is that very few of the people found with these things even know how to use them. It takes alot of practice to be able flip either around and hurt more than yourself.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newell, once again I must remind you that you may be the only member on this board who is familiar with Beastie Boy lyrics/tunes, not to mention eminen, etc. For those of us age impaired members, try to limit your musical references to pre-1992, preferably the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Buffett, etc.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must agree, and add only that one characteristic common to the musical greats listed by Mr. Gilleland, esq., is that they would be much more likely to have one of their roadies use a .45 than mess around with butterfly knives, brass knuckles or nunchucks. Or they might use an antique beer bottle, which, interestingly enough, might qualify as a curio.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David: Masterful. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

Licensed to Ill came out in 1984.

A little education for the fogies (from Wikipedia):

The Beastie Boys rated #11 on VH1's list of greatest hip hop artists. They were certainly the first white rappers of any significance, paving the way for others such as Eminem. Licensed to Ill was the first rap album to reach #1 on the Billboard 200 charts, and together with the success of Run-DMC's Raising Hell album in 1986, marked a breakthrough for rap music. Licensed to Ill was the most successful album released by any rap artist in the 1980s.

The Beastie Boys are equally influential in rock music history. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acknowledged "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)" as one of the 500 most influential tracks in the history of rock music being a major influence on rapcore and incorporation of hip hop into music. The Beastie Boys influence can be seen in many nu metal acts featuring a DJ.

The Beastie Boys were leaders in the use of sampling with Paul's Boutique being notable for its effective use of samples. The influence of this album can be seen for example on Beck's 1996 Odelay album (also produced by the Dust Brothers).

The group is also known for extending hip hop to its fullest potential. Hip hop is based upon incorporating many different cultures into one type of music. The Beastie Boys have recorded rap songs throughout their entire career, but also have recorded punk (first appearing before Licensed to Ill, then resurfacing in Check Your Head through Ill Communication), heavy metal (Check Your Head through Ill Communication), jazz funk (Check Your Head through Hello Nasty) and softly sung, often electronic tracks (Hello Nasty).

The chart consistency of the Beastie Boys must be acknowledged. Since 1986, they have had four albums reach the top of the Billboard album charts: Licensed to Ill, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty and To The 5 Boroughs. Few, if any, of the Beastie Boys' contemporaries have matched this feat.

Do-Wop.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well David at least THIS time you didn't kill the thread !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just wait.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
see.

posted Hide Post
Newell, as a PS, Epstein would be proud of your knowledge of white hip-hop, particular that of his former classmates (the BB's).

posted Hide Post
Tried a case with a switchblade with a naked girl handle that also functioned as a lighter. Jury didn't buy the curio argument and convicted him. Robert Earl Keen could probably write a catchy tune about it.

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
Brass knuckle - my granny's knuckles
brass knuckle buckle
My granny's knuckles

Got my knuckles from Granny Seale
Now I use them to keep it real
Whenever a punk tries to put 'em up
But it's really really old if you look close up.

Alright David! Bonus for the deft Beastie Boys reference.

Now let's see a curio version of "Rhymin & Stealin".

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post