TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New DPS DL Returns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New DPS DL Returns Login/Join 
posted
We rely heavily on TLETS to help find out what our defendants have been up to. This includes their D/L returns as well as the CCHs, both because of driving problems and because that's where Class C offenses tend to get reported.

Well, DPS just changed the format for these D/L returns. In fact they changed the whole computer system. The new format seems much harder to read, and entries are now in reverse chronological order, among other things.

But what really bothers me is now things like MIP, PI, etc. seem to not be on there. I just re-ran a defendant's DL today to gear up for trial. Class C entries that were on there from less than three years ago are now gone.

Worse, no one seems to know why they're gone. Not our local dispatchers, who were given no notice by DPS that changes were being made. Not my D/L troopers or their sergeant.

Does anyone know what the D/L people at DPS are up to? Are these entries going to be stuck in people's CCHs from now on? If not, how are we going to track them?

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We came to work, fired up our in-car computers and there is was. Little or no warning and absolutely no training on how to decipher the returns. I guess we are stuck with it and will have to learn how to read them over time.

Posts: 30 | Location: Austin,Williamson County, Texas | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe DPS counsel can assist? Janette has been known to post on this forum.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, over the last two years, DL division has been working on a completely new system (the DL Reengineering project, to be exact). It rolled out last Friday. I understood it went well with the usual little glitches. My understanding was that the new system was supposed to make DL histories easier to read. I will pass your concerns along to the right people in the DL division.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The government is here to help you.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing. I was at the roadside and ran a name and just like you all got all confused when the return came back. I was like, what? The old way was simpler to read and you could get it in short and long form. The new returns have information jumbled all over the screen.

We in El Paso didnt get any forewarning.

Posts: 11 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: May 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once we get used to it, it will be easier to read. You can't expect to change something that drastically and not expect a bunch of cops to gripe about it. Wink

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've already received a long e-mail from someone at DPS / TLETS. She has offered to help figure things out. I'll let her know my concerns.

Thanks for the quick response! I love this board.

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a summary of the format changes and what can be expected to now be on the DL return available?

Posts: 5 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This new format does not seem to be working.

We are having issues with prior DWLIs not showing up on the DL print out when they are on the criminal history. This is further relected in officers having problems determining on the roadside when a person stopped for DWLI is a first offense which is a Class C traffic ticket and a seond offense which is a arrestable Class B.

Posts: 19 | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a chart that I use and give out when I teach DWLI classes for the DPS and other police agencies. The chart lists all of the Class B, arrestable offenses and give a bit of guidance for handling the DWLI issue. It is not the major issue that it is being made out to be. The true issue is getting JP's and Magistrates and some LE management to understand that SURCHARGES are not a civil but a criminal issue in regards to DWLI and are enforceable as a suspension/revocation by LEOs at roadside.

If anyone wants the chart, send me an e-mail and I will forward it to you.

Posts: 30 | Location: Austin,Williamson County, Texas | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MScheffler:
I have a chart that I use and give out when I teach DWLI classes for the DPS and other police agencies. The chart lists all of the Class B, arrestable offenses and give a bit of guidance for handling the DWLI issue. It is not the major issue that it is being made out to be. The true issue is getting JP's and Magistrates and some LE management to understand that SURCHARGES are not a civil but a criminal issue in regards to DWLI and are enforceable as a suspension/revocation by LEOs at roadside.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you still have a current copy of the chart? If so my email is cmahurin@bigspringpd.net Thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by cmahurin:
quote:
Originally posted by MScheffler:

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post