TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    disclosure of defense cross
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

disclosure of defense cross Login/Join 
posted
Here's an interesting idea:

"The ruling, which split the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court 4 to 3, said that judges in criminal trials can compel defense lawyers to give the prosecution evidence they plan to use to cross-examine prosecution witnesses.

That makes Massachusetts one of three states with such a rule, experts said. The others are New Jersey and Minnesota, although courts in some states, including New York, have ordered the defense to produce such information, Mr. Sultan said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/02/us/02disclose.html?ex=1144558800&en=02d46eadcba42103&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Can somebody whip up us a bill on this for next session?

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I imagine all those states also have civil-style reciprocal discovery rules in criminal cases that serve as the foundation for those rulings.

-----------------
Update:

Well, now that I've read the article (I lost my NYT password at home), I see that this is related to reciprocal discovery. So I guess this post begs the larger question about that ....

[This message was edited by Shannon Edmonds on 04-03-06 at .]

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post