TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Unexpected thanks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected thanks Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday in a coffee shop I was stopped by a man who thanked me for sending him to prison. He said the experience changed his life. At least someone appreciates us.

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like!

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that happen once when I was stopped at a gas station. A heavily tatooed biker approached me and asked I was the DA. I nervously said yes. He stuck out his hand to shake and said I sent him to prison. He said it saved his life and got him off drugs.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone needs to make a PSA for TV advocating more prison space. It could be a montage of different people, each of whom looks into the camera and says something along the lines, "TDC saved my life! I finally got off drugs." Another could say, "I was basically a layabout. When I wasn't mooching off a girlfriend I was selling drugs or stealing stuff. TDC changed all that. Today I'm the president of my local Rotary Club."

A very tattooed girl could say, "I was headed down fast--every probation dept. rehab program I was sent to was a waste of my time. Finally they sent me to TDC. Today I'm the president of my local Junior League."

Then a deep authoritative voice-over could end with:

"T.D.C. Turning crooks into taxpayers--365 days a year."

It's an idea. What do you all think?

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience several years ago. Leaving the office after hours. Young man approached me and asked me if I was who he thought I was. He then happily told me the tale of how I saved his life by not revoking his probation and instead sending him to boot camp. (He was at the building to report to his PO). He went on and on about how that gave him the structure and discipline he so desperately needed. He was genuinely thankful. I was genuinely proud. A year or so later a new motion to revoke came across my desk. He was gang-banging in Dallas. Shooting at people. Now he's in the pen.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had several thank me. One even made a special trip to the courthouse. Guess it just goes to show that some ARE redeemable. I used to get a Christmas card froma murderer every year,t oo - and not a nasty one. Go figure!

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a defendant's daughter thank me once. It was right after trial, her father had just been convicted of indecency with a child and got 10 years in TDC. She walked up to me and said, "Thank you for killing my father!" Now that I think of it, maybe she didn't mean it. Other than that, no thank yous from defendants or their families.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defense lawyer - thanked me for telling the truth and letting the jury decide the case based on the facts. Then I woke up and got ready for work.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After jury trial and conviction defendant told me I must be very proud of sending a "innocent" man to prison.

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post