TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Grand Jury Secrecy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Jury Secrecy Login/Join 
posted
An interesting opinion from the San Antonio Court of Appeals on grand jury secrecy, saying that subpoenas aren't secret. Read the opinion. Anyone disagree?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are not secret, grand jury investigations are a public matter hindering both the ability of the GJ to look into matters and unfairly announcing to the world that a target is under investigation. This is one for the CCA to fix.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art. 20.10 specifically states an in-county summons or attachment can issue "without stating the matter under investigation." Clearly you'd have to state the witness who is being summoned, but I'm not aware of any provision in Chapter 20 or 24 that requires a summons or subpoena to state the name of the potential defendant or otherwise designate the matter under investigation.

I would certainly concede there may still be an implication of what is going on based on the records sought or the witness to whom the subpoena was issued.

Posts: 19 | Location: McKinney, TX | Registered: June 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although this is the decision of a single intermediate court, doesn't the opinion rankle anyone else? If adopted statewide by other courts, surely this law will substantially hamper grand jury investigations.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The State sought a peitition for writ of mandamus in this case in attempt to correct the 4th Court's opinion. Today, the Court of Criminal Appeals has denied the petition.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin, that is unfortunate news. I hope we don't suffer an epidemic now.

JAS

posted Hide Post
I agree John. As I see it, we are not permitted to ask for rehearing. TRAP 72.2 What is left? Why would the CCA not want to have a say on this important matter? I just cannot believe it.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the posture of the case. Is this something you may be able to cross-appeal if the defendant challenges his conviction? Another day, another shot?

JAS

posted Hide Post
Cross appeal after a conviction requires a ruling on a question of law if the defendant is convicted in the case and appeals. Since this is a grand jury activity, all of that is a long way off.

Maybe the Leg. can help.

posted Hide Post
Yep, I thought you had a way to go to any appeal. Can your ideas be tagged onto any existing proposals for legislation?

JAS