TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Looking for ideas....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for ideas.... Login/Join 
posted
I'm out of ideas and patience. Mr Smith is 54 years old and has been arrested for the 45th time for huffing. He has no employment (odd jobs), doesn't really MIND jail, but likes getting appointed counsel so he has someone to talk to. We've sent him to treatment - throws a fit and gets kicked out. He just finished 2 consecutive max sentences and reoffended about a week after getting out. When he's sober, he is STILL highly intelligent - to talk to him, you wouldn't realize the problem. Swears he can quit whenever he wants...doesn't want.

I can max him - again - - an it will cost the county that much more. Probation won't work - he'll reoffend almost immediately. He has to be arrested when on his "binge" as he can get violent.

Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas...and it doesn't enhance past class B that I have seen.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say he gets violent...has he ever assaulted a peace officer in the course of an arrest?

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. It's more of a violent mouth. He doesn't quite rise to resisting even.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interference with public duties

Trespass him from everywhere BUT the treatment facility

Exile to Louisiana or Arkansas

Make him learn banjo or djimbe

Sentence him to law school

Sentence him to work at Hooters, Redneck Heaven, Twin Peaks, or other similar establishment (where there are half-dressed women that should make him want to go to work)

Public shaming

Elect him to the legislature

Sentence him to run with the bulls, or at least ride a mechanical bull

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Elect him to the legislature

You're making a big assumption that he hasn't already been...

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True! Lisa did say he'd had "odd jobs." Wink

One more: give him a sherry enema.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make him listen to continuous loop of "Alone Again, Naturally" by Gilbert O'Sullivan; when his ears quit bleeding, make him watch reruns of "Three's Company."

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make him move to Austin.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dismiss his case and stop arresting him. Just a thought.

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my village, we always celebrate Valentine's by dragging a disgustingly happy couple to the fire hall and hucking squirrels at them. That might work here. It does work better if you wet the squirrels with a fire hose first.

Posts: 51 | Location: Throckmorton County, Texas | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he has been "huffing" that long and still is considered to be "intelligent," perhaps you should volunteer him as subject in a medical study on the effect of huffing!

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All humor notwithstanding, Nolan County has the same problem in microcosm that is crippling larger counties with costs when the criminal justice system is saddled with the care of the mentally ill or chemically dependent. The options are few:
1) greyhound therapy, a bus ticket to somewhere else
2) A H&S 462 commitment -- but to where?
3) A competency assessment coupled with a prayer that he is incompetent which would buy 120 and maybe 180 days of treatment -- or even a 46B.102 commitment
4) Reassessment of whether to continue to take charges either of crim. trespass, or any other non-violent Class B.
5) If he is a veteran, commit him to the VA

In Harris County our GP costs in the jail are $75/day - but infirmary or high acuity mh/cd cases could run as high as $285/day. We have no - or few - community resources and it is a serious (and statewide) problem.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get him to participate in a medical study - he should be dead, but can carry on an intelligent conversation on the subject of your choice - including huffing. He started on Liquid Paper in high school, then graduated to paint. he has family here, so won't leave, Big Spring won't take huffers, he isn't a veteran...

I could tell the jail to just release him when he sobers up, which I have been tempted to do. He costs the local tax payers no matter WHAT I do.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

posted Hide Post
If you can't beat them, join them.....No Bad Idea!

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lisa the concept of a "sobering unit" has emerged in 2-3 of our larger counties. I was wondering about a jail policy that would decline to accept Class B's - and some others - on medical grounds. How about transporting him to the local ER, with expressed concerns that his toxicity and/or withdrawal would pose medical problems. Leave him there...(We have spoken about your local problems with the hospital before, so this probably a poor solution..I am demented so I just thought of it afresh...).

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post