TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The New Meaning of a Newspaper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Meaning of a Newspaper Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We stopped taking the local paper (a slimmed down regional version of the DMN) a few years ago for exactly that reason. We do miss some very local issues, but nothing important. And the internet reports are free and so much more diverse and interesting. And did I mention free!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of papers are charging for access now, but if you have a Lexis subscription that has news, you probably can still get online access.

Did people worry about papers going bankrupt when TVs were invented and news reports started being aired? I'm not old enough to know.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Did people worry about papers going bankrupt when TVs were invented and news reports started being aired?"

No because you still had to get a newspaper to get the TV guide!

Posts: 62 | Location: Dumas, Texas | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gretchen:
Did people worry about papers going bankrupt when TVs were invented and news reports started being aired? I'm not old enough to know.

I'm not old enough to know either, but I bet JB, Brumley and AP remember. They're old as the hills. Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it had anything to do with TV taking over, and newspapers suffering for it, all I remember is the morning that Scott B. called me on the party line and said he had just read that Dewey had beaten Truman.

Exit only

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the fight between TV and newspapers was different than the competition between the Internet and newspapers. The TV news was a sufficiently unique presentation when compared to newspapers. The Internet, however, basically provides the exact same material for free that people pay for in a subscription (at least right now). Plus, bloggers have given news consumers plenty of reason to distrust what they read on the news (and watch on TV). And the Internet has basically opened up a two front war on the newspapers who now have to compete not only with the entertainment value of television and the instantaneous access to information that the Internet provides. I don't think newspapers go away, but they will have to get much smaller (and they'll have to get used to no longer being able to drive the news cycle).

[This message was edited by David Newell on 03-12-10 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
News available all the time is too much time. That's why stuff that isn't really news is covered by the media.

While I'm on this box, cartoons all the time have also ruined cartoons. Saturday morning is when cartoons should play.

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you watch those cartoons on a black and white or on one of those newfangled color TV's?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too lament the death of Saturday morning cartoons.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Did you watch those cartoons on a black and white or on one of those newfangled color TV's?"

One of those black and white ones. When it quits working you take the back off and take all of the tubes out and take them to 7-11 or Walgreens where they have a tube testing machine

Posts: 62 | Location: Dumas, Texas | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you had to walk all the way across the room to change the channel. The biggest problem (having three brothers) was in coming to an agreement as to which channel we would be watching. That required pulling out the TV guide (came in the Sunday paper) and marking out our choices by the half-hour.

posted Hide Post
Yeah but it was easier when you only have three channels to choose from

posted Hide Post
I miss Pong games

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Addicting, just as I remembered it. Just now organizing an inter-office tournament since the boss is gone.

posted Hide Post
My parents would (lovingly) "tap" me on the head and tell me to go change the channel. To one of the three. Also had to adjust the little wheel on the TV when shifting from a VHF to a UHF station.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever get sent to the back of the TV to adjust the color? That was a trip to nowhere. Yelling always ensued.

posted Hide Post
being the youngest I also was a living remote control, but no color to adjust

posted Hide Post
We had to put one of those green, red & blue tinted pieces of plastic over the screen and use our imaginations. Andy & Opie had blue-green faces and Amos McCoy had a pink hat.

Then I walked 3 miles to 1st grade classes, barefoot, chased by feral hogs, carrying all of my books and steel lunch box, while reciting the Bill of Rights in Latin, before daylight.