TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Ghost Riding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost Riding Login/Join 
posted
I'm sure most of you have seen the news stories on the new "sport" among teens: "ghost riding" or as it is sometimes referred to, "ghost riding the whip." I had a call from a Corporal wanting to know how an officer should charge a driver involved in this activity. He is looking at Deadly Conduct under PC 22.05 or Reckless Driving. I wonder if any of the prosecutors on this forum have charged someone for an offense arising out of ghost riding, and if so--which offense.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this. Of all the dumb ideas kids can come up with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag370nHDZis

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently I was talking with ER nurses who told me about the unintended (but probably inevitable) consequences of such acts.

They related how sad it was to see the parents of these severely injured (e.g. brain-dead, coma, etc.) kids.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(see if this doesn't put me down as a country boy).
I feel I must confess. When I was a junior and senior in high school, I think I may have inadvertantly done this with 2 or 3 of my buddies. It was usually committed in the hay fields around my home town, during the summer. One of us worked the passenger side row while the other (the driver) hauled the driver's side row and the 3rd was on top stacking. Never knew I was so hip. Got all kinds of street cred now.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JMH, That is a frightening admission!
Does doing the same thing with a tractor while stacking bales alone count? I may be more hip than I knew too!

[This message was edited by John Stride on 08-15-06 at .]

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how is he giving it the gas? That car was going faster than idle . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unless he crafted a hand throttle, the stupid fool must have stuck something on the accelerator. He was lucky not to have been mowed down on the rebound.

posted Hide Post
Or he simply set the cruise control...

Posts: 7 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: August 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This guy wins. Big.

The Darwin award, maybe. That video should be shown to high schoolers everywhere as an example of what can happen. Of course, some suicidal kid out there will figure out he can die that way and his parents will sue the school district that shows the video saying that the school taught him to kill himself that way. *sigh*

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Think of it as evolution in action." Oath of Fealty, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post