TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Fake ID
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fake ID Login/Join 
posted
I have a guy who used a fake government issued Identification Card to cash a check. The check was issued to him; however, he was an illegal alien who had set up a fake identification card and presumably a social security card as well. The cashier noticed that Department was mispelled. I thought about prosecuting him under 37.10 of the penal code; however, the fake id does not appear to fit under the governmental document definition of 37.01. The fake id is not a driver's license. It is simply an identification card. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The State also issues plain identification cards that are about the same size and shape as a driver's license. I think you even get them down at the DPS office...

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to take the clerk out to dinner. Most people wouldn't even care enough to id much less look at a misspell, or even be able to catch something like that. Good for that person. And check the DPS office for the ID card provisions.

Posts: 13 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: August 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPS issues Personal Identification Certificates as required by statute(see Transportation Code Section 521.101). These ID cards are the same size as a DL, have a photo em, but are different in color from a DL to distinguish them from a DL. They are a government document and as such, your defendant falls under 37.10, Penal Code.

Janette Ansolabehere
Texas Department of Public Safety
Office of General Counsel

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post