New
Find
Notify
Tools

a scarlet DUI Login/Join 
posted
Here's an interesting idea in the Maryland Legislature

http://www.nbc4.tv/automotive/7332075/detail.html

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Several states use colored license plates, stickers, or other visual indicators to identify drivers w/ past DWIs.

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to show that such measures have reduced the number of DWI cases in those states.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about making them drive a different kind of vehicle all together�like a bike?

Ok, make it a red bike.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
perhaps we should simply bring back the stocks.

P.S. - okay, make them red, too.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since tattoo's are so fashionable amongst the young now...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may no longer do this, but many, many, many years ago first year drivers in Great Britain had some type of sticker on their vehicle that identified the driver as a first year driver. I gather the idea was to warn the public to "watch out." Sounds like a similar concept in addition to the "shame" factor.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still do that, Janette. (Or at least they did as recently as ten or so years ago, when I was a student there!) They resemble bumper stickers but are magnetic so they can be removed when a non-learner driver takes the wheel. If I recall correctly, they're white with a big red "L" in the middle. You'd have one on either side of the rear of your car, just above the tail lights. I always thought it was a great idea. We have the "student driver" cars here when they're actually in classes, but not all the other times a kid is still driving around on a permit and not the easiest person to share the road with!

(Of course, in England you also can't even get a learner's permit and start to learn how to drive until you're 17, and most take several years to actually fit in enough lessons. All lessons are private, not like the driving schools we have here. Yours truly was a mini-celebrity in high school, arriving with her American driver's license at a mere 16!)

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post